This easy DIY no sew pizza costume is perfect for Book Character Day (Pizza and Taco) or Halloween. All you need are a few materials and a couple hours.
Ezra loves the graphic novel Pizza and Taco so thought it would be fun to be Pizza for Read Across America Week.
Pizza Costume Supplies
1/2 yard tan felt
1/2 yard red felt
1/2 cargo mesh fabric (I found this at a craft store)
Small piece of white felt
Small piece of black felt
Thin pool noodle
Black puffy paint
How to Make a Pizza Costume
Cut the tan fabric into a large triangle, then cut the red felt just slightly smaller, leaving extra tan fabric to roll the crust.
Trace the red felt triangle onto the mesh and cut it to be the same size as the red felt. This will look like your cheese, with bits of sauce poking through.
Hot glue the layers. When hot gluing the mesh, use a plastic knife to push the fabric into the glue so you don't burn yourself.
Using hot glue to adhere, roll a pool noodle at the top for your crust. Tuck and glue the excess felt on the sides. Of course, you could just roll the felt, but the pool noodle gives the costume a bit more pop and stability.
Cut eyes and a mouth with your white and black felt, then hot glue to the pizza.
Outline everything with black puffy paint to mimic the book character.
Hot glue the pizza to a black shirt.
This is such an easy costume and really cute! If you weren't doing the Taco book character, you could easily cut felt pizza toppings like sausage, pepperoni, peppers, etc. using different colors of felt.
My son wore black pants and black shoes to look like the black legs for his pizza book character. Khaki pants would have also worked though!
I hope this inspires you to make your own pizza costume.
Thanks to Everyday Reading for the amazing Graphic Novels book list that inspired my son to read Pizza and Taco!
- Anglerfish Costume Tutorial
- Things Under the Sea Family Halloween Costumes
- Kitchen Remodel: Before & After
- Craftsy Classes for $2.49 + A Summer of Crafts with Me!
- The Best Free Embroidery Patterns & Resources
- Wizard of Oz Family Costumes
- A Sesame Street Birthday Party for Ezra
- Book Character Costume: Captain Underpants Costume
- Tips for Baby Pumpkin Photos
- DIY: Easy Candy Corn Costume Tutorial
- 10 Tips for Taking Adorable Baby Kiss Photos
- 5 Tips For Creating a Photo Book (FAST)
Leave a Reply