If you are in Carlsbad, California, The Flower Fields at Carlsbad Ranch featuring nearly 80 million ranunculus flowers, is a must-see in the spring.
The Flower Field is open from early March to early May and has a showstopping 200,000 plants per acre on the farm’s 50 acres. Each plant grows about 10 flowers. The Flower Fields feature the Tecolote Giant Ranunculus, which is native to Asia Minor and was first planted in Carlsbad in 1921.
The flowers are grown in ribbon-like bands of color including white, pinks, yellows, oranges and reds.
To see 50 acres of these stunning flowers cannot be put into words. The fields go for as far as the eye can see.
A Few Tips for Your Visit
Buy tickets online
Buy tickets online to avoid waiting in line or tickets possibly being sold out. Parking is included at no extra charge.
Plan to visit early
The Flower Fields fill up early, so plan to get there right at opening to beat the crowds.
Once you enter The Flower Fields, go left to head directly to the Ranunculus fields. There are a few other things to see on the property, but I would check those out after you see the fields!
Do not cross the tape
The Flower Fields asks that people please stay on the designated paths and photo spots throughout the fields. This helps keep the flowers from getting damaged. You can easily shoot so that it looks like you are right in the middle of the flowers.
Plan Your Attire for Photos
You will definitely want to take photos, so plan for something in solid colors, or a pretty floral print. I wore this Knox Rose dress from Target and women commented on it all morning during my visit. Accessories like a hat and sunglasses look cute too.
Get creative with your photos
Take photos from different angles, great creative with the props (like sitting on the tractor vs. in it), shoot low and high and have fun with the composition to get photos that you’ll treasure for years to come. I love this photo of me standing on a small bench.
Buy Ranunculus bulbs online
If you want to plant your own Ranunculus flowers, visit Armstrong Garden Centers to purchase bulbs from The Flower Fields. You can also purchase them at the Flower Fields, but if you are traveling, the online option is very easy and pricing is the same.
Other Things to See at The Flower Fields
In addition to the 50 acres of Ranunculus flowers, visitors can enjoy the following:
- Illusion Garden made to make visitors feel like they has stepped into Alice’s looking glass.
- Santa’s Playground featuring playhouses and giant mushrooms that were once a part of Santa’s Village in Lake Arrowhead.
- Cymbidium Orchid Greenhouse to purchase orchids
- Tractor Wagon Ride providing a tour and audio commentary of the Flower Fields’ history (an extra fee)
- Demonstration Garden showcases a variety of garden design options.
- Sweet Pea Maze is a floral take on the popular corn maze.
- Historical Poinsettia Greenhouse featuring 20 kinds of poinsettia plants.
- Carlsbad Mining Company gives kids the chance to sift sand in water and find polished gemstones — just like miners used to do.
Food at The Flower Fields
The Flower Fields also offers some limited food options including pizza, kettle corn, strawberries, lemonade and coffee. On Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, an ice cream stands is also available.
pin this post!