I probably make one or two meals a month to take to people who are sick, had a baby, etc. I have been doing this for several years, so thought I would share a few tips I have learned along the way:
Tips on taking meals to others
- Make extra – usually people bring meals to someone every other day, so be sure there are going to be some leftovers.
- Provide a complete meal, with all the fixings, such as bread, salad, etc.
- Make one of your favorite dishes – Think of how much you love that meal and know that the family will love it even more- and appreciate the time you took to make it.
- Double the recipe – since you are going to the trouble to make a big meal for someone, you might as well make some for your family too.
- Don't forget dessert! A sweet treat is always appreciated.
- Include a special drink, like Izzes or chocolate milk.
- Use disposable rubbermaid, tins or ziplocks – That way, the recipient doesn't have to worry about getting your dishes back to you.
- Bring paper plates, utensils, etc. to make clean up easy.
- Add a little extra something, like a small gift, fresh flowers, breakfast food — something to make the meal delivery even more thoughtful.
Recipes to make for others
My two go-to meals are baked spinach pasta (recipe found here) or my favorite crock pot yummy chicken. While I have posted this before, I am reposting it for your reference because seriously, if you don't have this in your dinner arsenal, you are missing out. Totally easy and yummy!
Yummy Crock Pot Chicken
We made this recipe up on our own, so that is why it has the creative yummy chicken name. It is soooo good and soooo easy.
1 lb chicken breasts or tenderloins
1 can stewed or diced tomatoes (I like the italian kind)
1 can chicken broth
1 sliced green pepper
1 chopped onion
two cloves of fresh garlic
salt, pepper, Italian seasoning – just sprinkle in some of each!
Mix together and let the crock pot do its thing. Seriously, the chicken will be very tender and delicious. You can also cook with carrots and potatoes!
For more ideas, check out this list of 60+ meals to make for others.
Do you have any tips for preparing meals for people? Any favorite recipes you want to share?