If you want to increase the books you read each year, start listening to audiobooks. I started listening to audiobooks several years ago and they have radically improved my reading life.
Here are 8 reasons why audiobooks are great:
- You can listen to a book during times when you couldn't otherwise read, such as when you are doing the laundry, exercising, getting ready in the morning and driving. Not only does it make the time go by faster, but it makes it more enjoyable. I have found myself thinking, yay, another load of laundry to fold. I can listen to my book some more. Ha!
- You always have a book with you: Thanks to the Audible app and our phones always being with us, you always have a book to enjoy. In my fringe hours research, I found that the number one thing women wanted to do in their free time was read and listening to audiobooks makes that incredibly easy.
- You can read more books at the same time. I used to be a one book at a time person, but since starting to listen to audiobooks I always have two going at once – one that I listen to
- You are forced to take in a story more slowly. This is both a pro and a con, but more a pro, in my opinion. What I mean by this is because audio narration takes longer than silent reading, I find that I pay closer attention and am drawn into a story in a deeper way.
- The characters become more alive. When an audiobook is done well, the characters take on living personas that they don't do when you read normally. A few favorite fiction audiobooks that I have loved are Lilac Girls, The Dutch House (narrated by Tom Hanks) I absolutely loved it. And while I think I would have loved it had I read the hard copy, I think I loved it even more because the three characters were voiced by three incredibly talented women, including an Emmy-nominated actress. I highly recommend the audio.
- Memoirs feels like you are sitting with the person. I love memoirs on audiobook because they are typically read by the author. Right now I am listening to Open Book by Jessica Simpson and it is read by her and excellent. For more memoirs that I love, check out this list.
- You are motivated to read longer books. I generally steer away from books that are more than 500 pages just because they feel so long. With an audiobook, I am more likely to select a long book. For instance, I have read several of the Outlander books via Audible, which are in the 30-40 hour range. They fly on audio!
- Your kids want to read more. Audiobooks are a great way to get kids to read more too. My kids love listening to books!
Get Free Audio Books
I get most of my audiobooks through Audible, which is an Amazon company. Audible currently has a special Amazon Prime members promo where you can try Audible.com for just $7.95 a month for four months (regularly $14.95 a month). This is like buying two months and getting two months free and is a savings of $30. Go here to take advantage of this deal now.
You can also get two free audio books from audiobooks.com when you sign up as a new member. This is another excellent service that I have downloaded several books from.
For all of these services, you can cancel easily and you get to keep your books forever! I recommend signing up for these trials and giving audiobooks a try. I know you'll love them.
For More on Reading
Do you listen to audiobooks? If so, share some of your favorite titles in the comments!