This post is sponsored by Vrbo.
If you are looking to plan a fall getaway this year, try using Vrbo (pronounced VER-bo) to plan the perfect place for your family to stay. Vrbo is an awesome resource for renting homes, cabins and condos. With our family of five, we love the space to spread out that is offered by renting a house/condo when we travel.
Did you know that beginning with Labor Day through September is considered the travel “shoulder season” so prices are up to 29% cheaper than during the summer months? This means crazy savings vacation rental home, bigger inventories, less crowded beaches and the perfect time to book a getaway.
For instance, check out the top Vrbo destinations + the savings during shoulder season (based on 2018 data):
Vrbo Top U.S. Shoulder Season Savings Destinations
1. Ocean City, N.J. – 29 percent less per night ($417 vs. $296)
2. Sunriver, Ore. – 29 percent less per night ($401 vs. $285)
3. Ocean City, Md. – 29 percent less per night ($359 vs. $254)
4. Cape Cod, Mass. – 25 percent less per night ($402.25 vs. $304)
5. Lincoln City, Ore. – 25 percent less per night ($349 vs. $263)
6. Myrtle Beach, S.C. – 24 percent less per night ($255 vs. $193)
7. South Padre Island, Texas – 23 percent less per night ($307 vs. $235)
8. Whitefish, Mont. – 22 percent less per night ($321 vs. $250)
9. Bar Harbor, Maine – 22 percent less per night ($334 vs. $261)
10. Hilton Head Island, S.C. – 19 percent less per night ($281 vs. $227)
5 Tips for Booking a Vacation Rental
Though I am a planner, this year I have planned a lot of trips last minute. Here are a five tips to make it happen.
1. Decide what is important to you in where you stay: For instance, is it location, price, number of bathrooms, etc. This can really help when narrowing down your choices. If you are booking close to the date you will be traveling, be willing to be flexible, as some areas might have limited inventory.
2. Use Vrbo to book where you are going to stay. Using the app or the website is super easy for finding the place with the right accommodations for your family or group. Vrbo also offers “trip boards” which are sort of like Pinterest boards to plan your trip. On the board you can save all Vrbo options that are appealing for you and your family. Since we visited Myrtle Beach this summer, I put together a Vrbo trip board of some great family vacation rentals here. I could not get over how much cheaper September dates were than our July vacation!
3. Determine your need to dos vs. nice to dos: This is especially important if you are going with a large group or multiple families. Managing expectations in advance will make for a better vacation.
4. Set a budget: Have a budget in mind when you research places to rent. This will help you narrow down your options. Vacationing during shoulder season will also help you get more bang for your buck.
5. Use Google Docs to track vacation details: Whenever I plan a vacation, I create a Google Doc with reservation numbers, activity/excursion ideas and a rough itinerary. Google Docs are super easy to share and edit and always prove to be useful.
I hope this is helpful for planning your next getaway. Please share any awesome Vrbo deals you find.