It's my new favorite day of the month – book selection day on Book of the Month.
Wait, let me back up. If you are a voracious reader like me, or you just like to collect books, then you are going to love this service I discovered. I was prompted by a Facebook ad to check out the Book of the Month club and I am SO glad I clicked and signed up for the service.
Here's how it works:
- Each month on the 1st you are given five books to choose from. Books ship on the 6th each month and if you don't chose a book, one will be selected for you. You receive your book the following week.
- You devour it and repeat the next month.
- The cost is typically $14.99-$12.99 a month depending on how many months you sign up for. (Read on for a $7.50 a month deal.)
Types of books: A broad range of both fiction and non-fiction hardcover books are offered each month. A variety of “judges” make the book selections and I have noticed that the books are all very newly released (usually in the current month, but no older than in the past three months).
Why I like the concept:
- I'm prompted to check out books I otherwise wouldn't have.
- It's affordable, especially for newly released hardbacks.
- The books are vetted by other book lovers like me.
- The books are newly release.
- 1-month plan = $16.99 per month
- 3-month plan =
$14.99 per book, or $44.97$7.50 a book or $22.50 (CRAZY DEAL – see below)
- 6-month plan = $13.99 per book, or $83.94
- 12-month plan = $11.99 per book, or $143.88
I paid for the 12-month plan, which might seem risky to some, but I had $150 in Christmas money to spend, so I figured why not?! Getting a package every month with a new hardcover book in it seemed like the best gift ever. 🙂 I like that you can choose your book every time and I figured I can always give one or two as gifts if the month doesn't have a book that is the right fit for me. I'll be honest, my first book that I received was one of the two I abandoned last month, but I am confident that I am going to love my April book!
New Customer Offer: Book of the Month is now offering 50% off a 3-month subscription to new members with code APR50! This is the best introductory deal ever! Members who use it will get 3 new hardcover books for just $7.50 each. I was so excited when I learned about this deal because THREE HARDCOVERS FOR $22.50, SHIPPED FOR FREE?!? YES! I mean, this is too good to pass up.
If you were to buy one book at retail, you would pay more than $20, so it's basically like getting two books free.
Book of the Month has a great lineup of books for April. I selected Flight of Dreams, which is a historical fiction book about the explosion of the Hindenburg in World War II and the people aboard. The reviews on Amazon are very positive and I can't wait to read it.
• The Nest, by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney (Guest Judge: Ellie Kemper)
• Flight of Dreams, by Ariel Lawhon (Judge: Nina Sankovitch)
• Left of Boom, by Douglas Laux and Ralph Pezzullo (Judge: Book of the Month)
• A Mother's Reckoning, by Sue Klebold (Judge: Kim Hubbard)
• No One Knows, by J.T. Ellison (Judge: Liberty Hardy)
Click here to sign up for the three-month subscription to Book of the Month (don't forget to use the code APR50 to get 50% off).