One of my big goals for 2016 is to do A LOT of reading.
2015 was a big year for our family, with Ezra’s birth, my two book releases and Matthew’s six weeks of travel. Consequently, my love of reading really took a back seat. I read the fewest number of books I have read in years (less than 20 books).
Here are the books that I have bought that I know I want to read in 2016. I’m sure this list will evolve and have lots of additions, but if you are building your reading list, I thought this might inspire you.
Fiction is my favorite, so it is a bit shocking all the non-fiction books I plan to read this year. These are books that I curated from best of 2015 lists as well as some that I found on my own.
- Did You Ever Have a Family
- The Color of Secrets
- A Man Called Ove: A Novel
- True Colors
- Firefly Lane
- Winter Garden
- My Notorious Life: A Novel
- A Window Opens: A Novel
- The Girl Who Stopped Swimming
- The Kitchen House
- City of Women: A Novel
Books on Slowness/Intentional Living
My 2016 word is SLOW. In an effort to be a student of slowing down, I am committing to reading at least one book a month on slowness/intentional living. Here are the ones I have identified so far.
- 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life
- Maxed Out: American Moms on the Brink
- Simply Tuesday: Small-Moment Living in a Fast-Moving World
- Breaking Busy: How to Find Peace and Purpose in a World of Crazy
- A Life of Being, Having, and Doing Enough
- How Then, Shall We Live?: Four Simple Questions That Reveal the Beauty and Meaning of Our Lives
- The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun
- Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
- Wild and Free: A Hope-Filled Anthem for the Woman Who Feels She is Both Too Much and Never Enough
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less
- Soul Keeping: Caring for the Most Important Part of You
- The Top Five Regrets of the Dying
- The Gift of Being Yourself
Miscellaneous Non-Fiction & Parenting Books
Other non-fiction books that don’t fit into the above categories.
- A Homemade Year: The Blessings of Cooking, Crafting, and Coming Together
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption
- Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World: How One Family Learned That Saying No Can Lead to Life’s Biggest Yes
- Raising Uncommon Kids: 12 Biblical Traits You Need to Raise Selfless Kids
- Wild in the Hollow: On Chasing Desire and Finding the Broken Way Home
- Rising Strong
- Parenting the Wholehearted Child
- A Mother’s Heart
- The Mission of Motherhood
- Nurturing the Soul of Your Family: 10 Ways to Reconnect and Find Peace in Everyday Life
Looking forward to reading these books and growing as a professional this year.
- Money-Making Mom: How Every Woman Can Earn More and Make a Difference
- Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
- I Know How She Does It: How Successful Women Make the Most of Their Time
- Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want
- Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear
- Playing Big
Journaling & Prayer Books
As I have previously shared, I LOVE journaling books. I am also on the hunt for several good bible studies and prayer books. These are the books I am working through this year.