If you follow me on Instagram, you might have noticed I've been doing Ali Edwards' Week in the Life project. This is an annual exercise she hosts encouraging people to document their week. A few observations I have had:
- Every time I do this project, in the beginning, I get a bit consumed with capturing all the things and comparing myself and my photos to other memory keepers (usually in a negative way).
- By day three-four I hit a rhythm of what works for me in this season. I think that will definitely be today. With Ezra being sick Monday and a few other challenges this week, documenting hasn't been as front and center as I would have liked.
- I find Ali's daily sheets to be very centering and useful – even if I don't complete them each day. The little notes about each day really are one of my favorite parts of the project.
- In the back of my mind, I have a check list of shots I want to get during the week – wake up, bath time, meals, etc. I'm still working through that list.
- The shots I get during this project often tend to be some of my favorites from the year because I document things that I otherwise wouldn't have.
Below are a few shots from my week so far.
Making Ezra laugh – an all the time occurrence
Loading the van for school drop-off
Facetime with Nana in the morning
Pumping hasn't been going so hot.
So many deliveries – lots of God Made Light products and our Honest Company Essentials box
Fun on the playground (photo by Elias's teacher)
Ezra's awake! (Finished At the Water's Edge this week. Though it was a slow beginning, I ended up LOVING it.)
A show from Adeline (she told me her stuffed animals were the actors)
I also asked Elias's teacher to send me a few shots from school this week and she sent me a handful, which I was SO grateful for. I know some people like to only include photos taken from their perspective, but I think photos from others really rounds out the week.
I'm excited because I rented a 24-70 lens for the week and it arrived yesterday. Can't wait to get some great shots and different perspectives than I normally get with my 50 1.4.
You can follow me on Instagram to see more of my Week in the Life photos.
Are you documenting a week in the life?
Em Nuqui - Alejandrino says
Hi, Jessica. Nice shots! I’m also documenting a week in the life but in a low key manner.
These are awesome!!! I’m documenting this week too. I haven’t done it before and I was struggling today on what to capture! Im gonna push through anyways I think!
Love looking at your week, almost like being there …..
A Mama's Smial says
Thanks for posting this! I decided I was going to finally do week in the life this year. I haven’t used my big camera all year and didn’t realize how much I missed it. I successfully took pictures all week and plan on throwing them into a Shutterfly album. Can’t wait to see how your pics turned out using the 24-70 lens! I had never thought about renting one for special occasions.