Last weekend I finally took 30 minutes to make Elias a soda bottle jet pack inspired by one on Pinterest. Unfortunately, the link is dead for the one I pinned and it has no instructions, so I thought I would write some of my own.
Already, this little project has give him hours of creative expression – and it is so, so easy.
You have to make one for your kids!
Soda Bottle Jet Pack Tutorial
- Two 2 liter bottles (Mine were sprite bottles – Different bottles have different textures)
- 1 can of silver spray paint
- Hot glue
- Sturdy piece of cardboard (I used a piece from a shipping box)
- 16″ of 1″elastic
- Felt (A few of those 29 cent craft store sheets is perfect. I used red, orange and yellow.)
How to make the Soda Bottle Jet Pack:
- Spray paint bottles and cardboard
- While paint dries, cut out the flame shapes. then overlap and glue the tops together (you want the flames to “fly” on the jetpacks, so only glue the top edge)
- When the bottles are dry, glue the flames to the inside of the opening of each bottle.
- Cut your elastic into two 8″ strips. Then loop it and staple it to the top of the cardboard (about 2″in from the edge)- your child will put his or her arms through this to hold the jet pack on their back.
- Hot glue the bottles to your cardboard (Now I will say, hot glue + plastic means that you can pretty easy pull the bottles off the cardboard, but they certainly are not going to go anywhere with normal wear and tear. And if they do, some new glue is a pretty easy solution)
- Let your child's imagination soar!
This post contains compensated affiliate links.
Kim Gust says
This is great! And perfect timing! On the way to daycare this morning, my 4-year-old told me that he wants to be a firefighter for Halloween again (like he was last year) but that this time he wants to wear a mask and have oxygen tanks on his back. His firefighter coat still fits, so I may have to go ahead and make the oxygen tanks now by modifying your jetpack so that he can pretend to be a firefighter whenever he wants!
Hi Jessica! I wanted to say that I have been following your blog forever and LOVE all of the info and resources that you give 🙂 I have a 14 month old little boy and love that you give out such wonderful ideas for little boys and you are going through around the same age/timeframe as I am! I wanted to see if you could do me a HUGE favor…I know that you will appreciate getting a “free photo session” if I win the contest…so…would you be able to “like” my son’s picture on Facebook (I am not on Facebook!) and vote for him at this link?? I know it’s a silly thing to post on your comment page, but I didn’t know how else to contact you! Here’s the link….
thank you in advance!!! we have until midnight tonight!!!
Thank you so much for this wonderful idea! My nephews birthday party is this Saturday, and he’s very into Iron Man, so this would be perfect for his Iron Man costume that he wears on a daily basis! I am so excited to make this that I’ll be leaving in a few minutes to go get the supplies I’ll need! Again, thank you!