My every day camera is a Canon Rebel XT, which Matthew gave me for Christmas in 2006. It is the best present he ever gave me. The XT isn't made any more, so the equivalent is the Canon Digital Rebel XSi . I can't recommend the Rebel highly enough. I think everyone who has an interest in photography should save to invest in an SLR camera. The difference in your photos is significant.
Update: In June 2010 I upgraded to the Canon 40D.
These are the lenses that I have:
- Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (This is a “fixed” lens, meaning it doesn't zoom. I LOVE it. It is the lens that is on my camera 98% of the time)
- Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS SLR Lens (This is the lens that came with the camera and is a nice lens to start with)
- Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens (This is a nice zoom lens, but I don't use it very often.)
I also have the Canon Wireless Remote Control RC1 for Digital Rebel, which works great. I always forget that I have it. I used it when we were on the beach and got some of my favorite family photos ever. I plan to do a fall photo shoot of the three of us next weekend and will be using it for sure. Matthew also bought me a nice tripod when we had Elias, which I love.
I love the Gary Fong Puffer Pop Up Flash Diffuser when I have to use a flash!
The gear currently on my wish list is:
- Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens (Our amazingly talented photographer friend Lee recommended this lens to me and I have been lusting over it ever since.)
- Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash (This is a large flash that attaches to the camera. I would love to have a flash with more power than what comes on the camera)