Throwback Thursday Stories

by jessicaturner on May 22, 2014

Throwback Thursday Stories
Welcome to Throwback Thursday Stories where each week we share and link-up the stories behind our Throwback Thursday photos. It’s an awesome opportunity to document untold stories about the photos in shoe boxes, scrapbooks and hard drives in your home.

Elias3

It seems that with our pregnancy announcement this week (thank you to all who celebrated here, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram), it seems fitting to share the photo of when Elias first arrived into the world. He is just minutes old in this picture.

I labored for 34 hours after being induced for pre-eclampsia. My pregnancy was hard. Not as hard as some, but harder than most I know. (Although Adeline proved to be harder… and this one that I’m only 7.5 weeks into? Seems darn hard too.)

I screamed and wailed and the contractions kept coming, but I did not progress. Eventually, after 28 or so hours, I succumbed to the epidural, needing rest.

Later my midwife told Angie that she had never seen a woman endure such high levels of pitocin and magnesium without any pain medication.

I was stubborn.

But when I look at that picture of our family of three, I weep. I don’t remember the pain. I remember the joy. The joy of our first child. A son named Elias, meaning Yahweh is my God. We proclaim that over our lives and over his.

I always knew I would love being a mom, but I didn’t realize HOW MUCH. I guess you don’t until you experience it. Motherhood is a wonder.

Susan May 22, 2014 at 9:02 am

What a sweet picture. Blessings to you and your growing family. Thanks for the linkup!

Rebecca Walker May 22, 2014 at 11:20 am

Congratulations! We have 3 and though it is crazy sometimes (often times,) it is very rewarding too! I recently blogged my “Mommy Tips” – my secrets to surviving with three of them! Check it out here….

Rachel May 22, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Congratulations on your third pregnancy, Jessica!!
I hope it ends up being the easiest one yet :)

Michelle May 22, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Oh thanks, now you’ve made me cry. <3 What a sweet throwback photo and even sweeter sentiment behind it. You will make it through this pregnancy… you know that it's all worth it in the end. Lean into Jesus and let Him walk with you through the rough times. I remind myself daily that pain is only temporary. He is always faithful and will help you endure til the glorious end!

shellie May 22, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Wow! You’re a strong woman. And I didn’t know Angie was a midwife! (I’m thinking midwifery for the next one…we’ll see.)

shellie May 22, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Oops. I read that wrong! :/

Yvonne Michelle May 22, 2014 at 10:21 pm

I was just saying this morning that I wish I could go back in time, and hold each one of my babies just once more. My youngest (#5) finished 8th grade today. All three of my littles are now in high school. My two oldest are moved out & one has a child of her own. I don’t know where the time went. Enjoy each second, it all goes by way too fast. Everyone told me that, and I didn’t believe them. They were right. I blinked, and the years & my babies are gone. I’m trying to cherish each minute of their teenage years before I am home all alone. I’ll have to bribe grandchildren to have fantastic sleep overs. Congrats on the new one coming your way soon!