February was such a busy month that it wasn’t worth me posting a reading update, but I am happy to share my February AND March reads today. Though it is just three books, it is three AWESOME books. I’ve had a streak of great luck in the fiction department, so if you are a fiction lover, you are in for a treat.
The Light Between Oceans: I can’t put into words how much I loved this book. The story has haunted me for weeks after reading it. It takes place in the early 1900s in Australia. It tells the story of a young husband and wife who live on a remote island and take care of a lighthouse. They lose three babies in their marriage, so when a boat washes ashore with a dead man and a newborn in it, the wife thinks it is a gift from God. As the years go on, their choice to keep the baby wrecks havoc on their lives. I don’t want to give too much away, but if you read one book from this list, read this one. You will not be disappointed.
Loving Frank: My friend Laura recommended this book awhile ago and her words about the ending totally shocking her kept ringing in my head as I read it. This book felt a little slow in parts to me, but overall I loved it because THE ENDING!! What is especially incredible is that it is true, true, true which makes it all the harder to believe. I won’t spoil it if you haven’t read the book or don’t know the story (I didn’t), but if you like good historical fiction, this is a GREAT read.
The Memory Keeper’s Daughter: I have heard great things about this book for years, but never read it. I stumbled on it at the used bookstore and when I finally picked it up, I couldn’t put it down. I read the first 100 pages in the bathtub in one night. The story flies and it is a really wonderful book. Now I need to watch the movie to see if it compares.
If you are looking for non-fiction, you might be interested in these new (and soon-to-be-new) releases:
- Surprised by Motherhood: Everything I Never Expected about Being a Mom
- Love Idol: Letting Go of Your Need for Approval – and Seeing Yourself through God’s Eyes
- Found: A Story of Questions, Grace & Everyday Prayer
- Hope Runs: An American Tourist, a Kenyan Boy, a Journey of Redemption (releases April 15)
- Rhinestone Jesus: Saying Yes to God When Sparkly, Safe Faith Is No Longer Enough (releases May 1)
Today I’m headed to New York City for a work-conference and then next week is our Disney trip, so if you have any must-reads while traveling, please share in the comments section.
What have you been ready lately?
2014 Reading List (each month I will add to this list)
- The Memory Keeper’s Daughter (March)
- Loving Frank (March)
- The Light Between Oceans (February)
- Chasing Superwoman: A Working Mom’s Adventures in Life and Faith (January)
- Chasing God (January)
- Hands Free Mama: A Guide to Putting Down the Phone, Burning the To-Do List, and Letting Go of Perfection to Grasp What Really Matters! (January)