Send Some Happy Mail Today

by jessicaturner on March 19, 2014

Send some happy mail today Isn’t it wonderful to receive real mail from someone?

Especially in this day where just about everything is digital, to receive something that is written in someone’s own hand is a precious gift.

Some seasons I am really good about sending mail to friends on a regular basis.

Other times, I am terrible at it.

I am coming out of a terrible season, but I am working hard to be intentional again, knowing how much it matters – for both me and the ones that I love. Hallmark recently reached out to me about doing a blog series and it came at the perfect time. They sent me a box of cards and product and it prompted me to send some happy mail to my Mom.

To me, happy mail is an unexpected “just because” package or card. In my mom’s happy mail I included:

Send some happy mail today
It took less than 10 minutes to write the card and box the package up. So simple, yet I know will be incredibly meaningful to my Mom.

Moreover, the intentionality of putting together the package was good for my soul too. I found myself praying over the package, that it would minister to her and remind her that she is loved.

Writing cards and sending mail has always been a process that blesses me. Every time I do it I think to myself, why don’t I do this more often? And so, that is my intention as we go into spring – that I will send mail on a regular basis to those that I love.

In my life I have found that many meaningful acts take way less time than we think they will, yet the impact those actions have is significant. Sending a card or a package is one of those things. It takes NO time to send a baby gift to a friend or a just because happy mail package.

Yet, that one act of kindness might be the very thing the friend needs. She might remember it for years to come. Or her spirits might be lifted for just that day.

The important thing is that it will matter to her. Show love to someone today by sending some happy mail.

Do you remember a time you received an unexpected card or gift to someone? How did it make you feel?

LIASO FooterDisclosure: This post is the first in a six-month series sponsored by Hallmark. All thoughts are my own.

Beth (@SimplyBeth3) March 19, 2014 at 5:47 am

I received two “snail mail” cards from writing friends this week and oh my did it touch my heart. I felt so loved.
Blessings.

Melissa Chapman March 19, 2014 at 6:29 am

There is something so incredibly special about a handwritten card. I have saved every single one ive ever gotten from my husband!

jessicaturner March 19, 2014 at 3:53 pm

me too!!

Kayla Aimee March 19, 2014 at 6:48 am

That is a sweet gift :) I always WANT to be intentional about it too and forget often. It’s easier with Scarlette, sometimes I have her color a picture to send to family and I really want to instill this in her from a young age so she doesn’t sturggle with it like I do!

Blair @ wild and precious March 19, 2014 at 8:02 am

What a great reminder. And great little gift ideas. Thanks for the links!

Sami Cone March 19, 2014 at 9:38 am

Such a sweet reminder on how simpler it is to make someone’s day!

Beth in Ohio March 19, 2014 at 11:45 am

I’m blessed to have a father and a friend who are oh-so thoughful with their handwritten cards and gifts for no reason except “just because.” Thank you for sharing this and reminding me to provide the unexpected for someone else.

jessicaturner March 19, 2014 at 3:53 pm

I found a handwritten note that my grandpa wrote me when I was nine and it made me weep.

Amy March 19, 2014 at 12:17 pm

This year it has been one of my intentions to send “just because” mail, at least one a month. So far I have sent two packages and am working on my third. I feel absolutely wonderful doing it and can only imagine how excited the recipient would be. I try to include my children in the act of giving by having them create some art to include as well. Great post idea, Jessica, to get more people making the world a little brighter!

jessicaturner March 19, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I love that you are doing this monthly. And yes, including kids is so great.

Bonnie Jean March 19, 2014 at 12:48 pm

There is nothing better than a handwritten note or letter. I prefer it to an email or text a million times over. It is like a gift from the person who sent it… a part of themselves than just does not come through in email or texts… when I read the note or letter I hear the voice of the one who wrote it. I used to be very good at letter writing… and it is something I miss and hope to get back to… I enjoy sending letters and gifts for no special reason other than I am thinking of someone or want to cheer them up or I found something I think they would like… and then of course on their Birthday. Even if they are more “tech savvy” than I … I will always be a “paper girl”.

jessicaturner March 19, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I’m a paper girl too!

Carol March 19, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I am a terrible “mailer” and you’ve inspired me to be intentional about this. Have you read Cali Yost’s book called Tweak It ? I love it and it’s all about how sometimes you have to make a little “tweak” in your life that can make a huge difference. This is one example. Do you know about regional shipping boxes? Search for it on the USPS website. You have to order the boxes on-line but you can save money plus you get a discount for paying for your postage on-line, even if it’s cheaper to send a different way.

When I read your post, I immediately thought of a hand-written note that I received in high school. I was the boys’ basketball manager, was very committed and really put my heart into this. One of the player’s mom wrote a lovely note that I have always treasured. Another player’s mom wrote a wonderful recommendation for me for my college application.

jessicaturner March 19, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I have Cali’s book, but haven’t read all of it yet! Thanks for sharing. :)

Cody Doll March 19, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I love reading your posts and I can’t wait to see your new series on cards. I would love to become penpals with someone but I haven’t really got anyone to send a card too. I guess to my mom and brother but that’s about it.

Sarah March 19, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I agree! I just wrote about how much I love writing letters to! Especially in our highly digital world – receiving snail mail is precious!

Annette March 19, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Love this! I’m on a personal mission to write cards and letters every week this year. So far so good! People love receiving it and I love sending it!

Jo-Lynne Shane {Musings of a Housewife} March 20, 2014 at 8:53 am

There’s NOTHING like getting REAL MAIL that is not bills and catalogs. :-) I always say I want to be better about this. I’m excited to be participating in this campaign along with you and making sending happy mail a priority!! :-)