Bathroom Remodel Inspiration: Before & After

by jessicaturner on March 28, 2014

When we bought our house, we knew that it was going to need a lot of work. Almost every room had wallpaper, dated gold fixtures and ugliness.

But with both of us working more than full-time and having two small children, we also knew things weren’t going to happen overnight.

This bathroom review is six months in the making – more if you count the wallpaper stripping that I did first.

First, some crummy before pictures so you can get an idea of what it looked like. I wish I would have taken more, but I definitely think you will get a sense of the ugly.

Bathroom Before PhotosNeedless to say, it was not a good situation. I started by stripping the wallpaper and painting the room a cream color until we saved enough to do a total remodel.

wallpaperStrippingIn September you might remember that we had contractors come in and do a bunch of work on several rooms – including this bathroom. They knocked out the wall, removed the flooring, sink, light and toilet, and put all new in. It was awesome.

rippedoutbathroom
Since then, we have painted and I have slowly accessorized. I’m going to share the big reveal today, then on Monday I will share details about all the products, how and why I selected them, etc.

Drumroll please…

Here is our newly remodeled bathroom!

BathroomRemodel1Isn’t the difference remarkable?! I love everything about it. Knocking that wall out opened the room up so much.

BathroomBeforeAfterFinalThis bathroom is used for the kids and guests that stay for us. The shower curtain is the focal point of the room and is perfect for both.

BathroomRemodel2The Devine Color paint (Guanabana) is soothing and tranquil. I have never used such a fantastic paint. It goes on like velvet.

BathroomRemodel4The Moen faucet, towel bars and toilet paper holder are classic and beautiful. The brushed nickle is the perfect look in the room. I love how everything matches, giving the room a very custom look.

BathroomRemodel3The wood of the vanity and the tile work really well together.

Hanging the baskets on the wall was an idea I found on Pinterest. They were the missing element that really completed the room.

Is it silly to say that this bathroom is one of my favorite rooms in our house? Because it really is. I am so glad that this is one of the first big projects we tackled because it made such a difference on the whole feel of our upstairs.

Products:
Sink, toilet and mirror: Home Depot
Tile for floor: Home Depot
Light: Martha Stewart (Essex Outlet)
Faucet and accessories: Moen (Sage)
Paint: Devine Color paint (Guanabana)
Shower curtain: Esprit Spice
Baskets: Michaels
Decor in Baskets: Target clearance (Valentine’s 90% off)
Adeline picture: PhotoBarn
Hand Soap: Honest Company

What do you think?

Disclosure: A huge thank you to Moen who not only provided the incredible faucet and accessories and Devine Color who provided the paint, but for their patience on this project! I am so grateful to have the opportunity to work with such awesome companies who get it. More on their great products Monday, as well as how I selected everything.

Hope March 28, 2014 at 8:32 am

That is beautiful!!
We are looking to buy but the only houses we can afford would be ‘work in progress’ type of houses. This is encouraging. Over time things will get done.

jessicaturner March 28, 2014 at 1:34 pm

Yes! There is still SO much we want to do, but just have to be patient with ourselves. I am loving reading The Nester for more inspiration and encouragement about the fact that it takes time to update a home (especially if you don’t want to go into debt), but the effort is worth it.

Laura March 28, 2014 at 8:41 am

Looks great! Love that shower curtain.

Sarah Kooiman March 28, 2014 at 9:29 am

Looks fantastic! We haven’t done a single thing to our house since we moved in 2 years ago unless you count replacing the furnace and the new roof that’s going on in three weeks. Nothing fun though. :)

jessicaturner March 28, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Those are big investments! We had to add a special metal thing to our roofline to prevent critters from getting in so that delayed several projects. A little at a time, right?

Vicki Lee March 28, 2014 at 10:01 am

Great inspiration! We are getting ready to gut our bathroom this weekend. I just ordered the shower curtain from overstock. Love it.

jessicaturner March 28, 2014 at 1:31 pm

How exciting that you are doing a remodel! It feels so good.

Jo-Lynne Shane {Musings of a Housewife} March 28, 2014 at 10:03 am

That is beautiful, Jessica! Well done.

Sara March 28, 2014 at 10:18 am

Love!!!!! Great job Jessica!!!

Michelle (Trash to Treasure Decorating) March 28, 2014 at 10:28 am

I love it! Love the shower curtain too. It looks so great in your photos that you ought to add your pics to Amazon. It doesn’t look near as spectacular in their photos. What an improvement from that odd half-wall too!

jessicaturner March 28, 2014 at 1:31 pm

You are right. The Amazon shot isn’t very good. And the half-wall is called a “privacy wall.” So silly I think.

Glamamom March 28, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Incredible. That shower curtain is DIVINE!

jessicaturner March 28, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Thank you! I love it too.

Vera Sweeney March 28, 2014 at 1:03 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! I can’t handle this! it looks so different!! Amazing job – wowowoowowowowo

jessicaturner March 28, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Thanks, Vera! I can’t handle it either. The before/after picture really made me go – wow!! It really is so much better. :)

Amanda March 28, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I’ll be the dissenting vote. The curtain is horrible.

But the transformation from closed off to open and airy is amazing!

jessicaturner March 28, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I wasn’t really looking for a dissenting vote, but thanks for offering it. :) Different tastes are what make the world more interesting!

blair @ wild-and-precious.com March 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

amazing job!! and that paint! need to check it out!!… i have a few home and work renovation projects i’m needing some good color for! thanks for the intro!

shellie March 28, 2014 at 4:39 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!! You should check out View Along the Way. She is amazing at DIY… like major cheap-o (in a good way). http://www.viewalongtheway.com

Ashlee March 28, 2014 at 5:07 pm

LOVE the transformation–and LOVE the shower curtain! Perfect for a kid + guest bathroom!

FYI–I think the link for Essex is wrong. It took me to an outlet mall in Vermont? (which may actually be where you got it, so my apologies if that’s true!!)

If you got it at Essex in Nashville, they’ve changed their name to Bargain Hunt (don’t worry, my husband and I still call it Essex. Every.single.time!! In fact, the front page of their website still has the Essex logo, even though it’s bargainhunt.com–it’s not until you click on “retail” that it says Bargain Hunt) :) Just thought I’d let you know so your readers could learn the joys of Essex (I mean Bargain Hunt…Haha) as well! :) We go there almost every weekend–it’s the best!

Bree March 30, 2014 at 3:24 pm

LOVE LOVE your shower curtain!! And I love the baskets on the wall too – such a creative idea to add in texture. You’ve got my creative juices flowing now……Enjoy a job well done!

Kim M April 1, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Thanks so much for the posting this. We have been in our house two years and have been doing little things and our bathrooms still need a facelift. This really helps me not to be discouraged. I tend to fret because it doesn’t all come together at once. We painted and put new toilets but still need to tackle the other parts of the room (like the vanity, mirror, lights). What is Nester? Is it a book?