Are You Prepared for a Fire?

by jessicaturner on February 24, 2014

Kidde In December, my Dad came down for a few days to tackle a bunch of “honey dos” on my list. Matthew is many things, but handy isn’t one of them! Thankfully, my Dad loves tackling a long-to do list – and Elias loved helping. :)

One of the items on our list was to get the house “fire safe”. I am a bit embarrassed how unprepared we were if we ever had a fire, but I am writing this post because I hope that if you are like me, you are encouraged to make your home safer. Kidde graciously sent me a big box of products to outfit our house with all the proper fire safety tools.

Worry-Free Smoke Alarms

Before working with Kidde, I thought it was sufficient to have two smoke alarms – one upstairs and one downstairs. Boy, was I wrong. Turns out you should have them throughout your home and in every bedroom.

Kidde
When my Dad installed the Kidde worry-free smoke alarms, he said that they were the easiest alarms he has ever installed – just one screw! He actually said Kidde is the only brand he will buy because they are so incredibly easy to put up (turns out, we totally could have done it on our own). Coming from my Dad, there is no better endorsement.

Kidde

Escape Ladders
We also had not yet invested in ladders for the second-story bedrooms, but thanks to Kidde, we now have escape ladders in every bedroom.

ladder
We have them tucked under our beds so that they are easy to access, but out of the way of little kids who might want to play with them. We made sure to have a conversation that they are not a toy.

Fire Extinguishers

kidde Fire extinguishers should within reach on every level of your home including close to exits, and in the kitchen and garage. Think about all locations where a fire may start. While at Kidde, the fire fighter told us that he had an extinguisher in every bedroom, in his living room, kitchen and garage. We now have them in our bedrooms, in the front hall closet (next to the living room with the fireplace) and under our kitchen sink.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

My Dad also installed carbon monoxide alarms on each floor of our house. I thought this graphic was really helpful in understanding all the potential sources of CO.

CO-source-ALL

Family Fire Safety Plan

family emergency planInstalling these gave us a great opportunity to talk about our own family fire safety plan. With our kids being so little, we talked about things in very broad terms with the kids, especially Elias. Adeline was present for the conversation too, but she was more worried about her baby dolls. :)

Resources

As your family puts together a fire safety plan, you might find these resources helpful

How fire/CO safe is your home?

Disclosure: The post is the third in a year-long sponsored series by Kidde. Some links are affiliate links.

Kelly H February 24, 2014 at 8:54 am

Thanks for posting this, my Father died in a house fire 5 years ago on my daughter’s birthday. Fire safety is near and dear to my heart.

jessicaturner February 24, 2014 at 9:33 am

I am so sorry for your loss. Fire safety is so incredibly important! I am thankful to spread this message.

Kelly H February 24, 2014 at 10:38 am

Thank you. It’s so important, people think it will never happen to them.

Nurse Bee February 24, 2014 at 9:25 am

We just bought fire ladders after Christmas this year (I believe after reading about them on your blog). I just hope we never have to use them!!

K.O. February 24, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for this post. I’d never even heard of fire ladders before.

Kaye February 24, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Hopefully everyone who reads your blog will react and be ready. You just never think this will happen to you! We lost our home and two labs in a fire in 2005. It is such a loss, really, no words to describe. Our lives seem marked by that day. When we speak of when things happened in our lives, we refer to ‘before the fire’ and ‘after the fire’. Two things I try to encourage everyone to do ‘just in case’ is to video tape your home, open drawers, cabinets, etc., and put the tape in a place of safekeeping. For photographs, I never delete photos from flash cards anymore. When the flash card is filled, it immediately goes into a safe, dated from when I started using it, until I took it out of the camera. I’ve even encouraged others to take photos of photos in their homes. Photos that were before the ‘digital’ age. It is such a loss to not have any way of recovering photos of loved ones, especially those we’ve lost. Sorry to go on and on, but please, everyone, be safe and be prepared. -Revelation 21:5

jessicaturner February 25, 2014 at 5:12 am

I’m so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Cynthia February 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm

On a different subject, I happened to see what looks like a hope chest in the first picture. Please make sure that it doesn’t lock when shut….in Massachusetts, 2 children perished a month ago by hiding in the one on their home. There was no latch on the inside to let them out and no vents for air.
I know that this is so sad, but I felt I had to say something when I saw it.

jessicaturner February 25, 2014 at 5:13 am

Thank you so much for sharing. It doesn’t lock when shut, but it is a heavy top. How devastating for those children’s family.

Stephanie February 25, 2014 at 8:48 am

Thanks for sharing these fire safety tips. I also wanted to suggest the laundry room for a Carbon Monoxide detector. Gas dryers put off CO.

Mary Ann February 26, 2014 at 7:56 pm

We had practiced where to meet and what to do if there was a fire several times. We were so glad the kids remembered and acted quickly when we had a fire. They knew what to do and we were all safe, thankfully.