Christmas Back to You: A Song About Motherhood

by jessicaturner on December 11, 2013

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 5.14.18 AM
Matthew and I went to a small Christmas concert/gathering at Kim Hill’s house two weeks ago. It was the perfect start to our Christmas season.

Toward the end of the night she sang a song called Christmas back to you. In her own words about the song:
Most of us remember our “Baby’s 1st Christmas” celebrated with ornaments and little Christmas outfits. This song was written for my son during his senior year of high school as I reflected on his “last Christmas” with me as my little boy before he left Nashville to play college football at Stanford in California. I know that he’ll come home for Christmas, but it’ll never be the same. As a single mom I tried to create special traditions and memories for my two sons (now 16 and 20) with the hope that in spite of the “rocky road”, the good memories will be the ones that last!

She said she could never sing the song without crying, so I was prepared it was going to be a meaningful song. But, as a mom of two toddlers, would I really relate?

Family Christmas 2011Um, yeah. I cried big crocodile tears through the whole thing. Matthew asked why I was crying and I said, Elias is going to grow up! We only have 13 more Christmases. Since that night, I have listened to this song dozens more times and truly think its words will impact me for a lifetime.

After the show, I asked if she would upload it to YouTube so I could share it with y’all and she kindly did.

This song is an anthem to motherhood in so many ways. You are going to love it. May it remind you to pause this Christmas season (and every day) to savor your child(ren).

Subscribers: click here to watch the video

Karen December 11, 2013 at 9:26 am

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Stephanie Click December 11, 2013 at 9:36 am

Oh my goodness. First, the Westjet video and now this. I’m a mess.

Katie December 11, 2013 at 11:40 am

Gah! I want to watch this but I already have PMS and continuous angst over my babies (10 & 11 year olds) growing up so fast! I’m at work now so I think I need to at least wait until I get home to watch because I can feel the ugly cry trying to make an appearance!

Diana Trautwein December 11, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I am one hot mess over here. Gorgeous, gorgeous. Thanks so much, Jessica. Can I just say how much I love that great big heart of yours? It’s a glorious thing to find out here in the big, sometimes dark and angsty place called the internet. You shine. You shine.

Missy McDaniel December 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Oh my goodness! I bawling! Our daughter is a Senior this year! Wish I hadn’t listened to this before I had to go somewhere! Ha! I need a makeup redo! Beautiful!

Lisa December 11, 2013 at 2:00 pm

And now I’m crying!!! This makes me miss my grown up boys.

Marty Walden December 11, 2013 at 5:41 pm

My oldest son turns 21 tomorrow and is away at college, to be married in 6 months. Thanks for the good cry!

Kathy Frye December 12, 2013 at 9:06 pm

This is so beautiful, I loved it!! Jessica, enjoy your little ones because it does go quickly! My children are 20,18 and my baby will be 14 on Dec. 21st and I cant believe it!! My favorite quote is, The days may be long but the years are short! As a Mom I am sure you can relate, but cherish those long days because they are precious times!!
I love your blog!!!