This is a review six months in the making. It’s not sponsored (though I do use a referral link). I believe in the products and am excited to give you my most “honest” thoughts (pun intended).
Let me start at the beginning…
In January you might remember that I met Jessica Alba at the Alt Conference. She was there promoting The Honest Co., which she co-founded after finding it difficult to find healthy, non-toxic, affordable products for her family. (Her kids are the same ages as Elias and Adeline).
To me, words like “organic” and “natural” always seem like they will not work as well and be more expensive, so I couldn’t wait to try out The Honest. Co., which prides itself on offering, quality, affordable products. I also loved how much I connected with Jessica – a working mom like me, who loves her kids well and struggles to find time to do all that she is passionate about.
Can anyone else relate?
When I returned from the conference, I ordered a free trial of both the diapers and essentials pack. (They now have a vitamins essentials trial too, but that wasn’t available in January).
When I ordered the trials, it was $5.95 to ship both, making it an awesome deal. I love having small sizes of good products for traveling, so I figured even if I didn’t love the items, it was worth the shipping expense. You would pay more for small travel items at Bath & Body Works – and they don’t have diapers, ha!
It’s important to note that when you order the free trial, you are automatically entered in their monthly shipment program (more on that in a minute), but you can totally just cancel it if you don’t want it.
After receiving the trial, I decided to continue with the monthly bundle subscription, but not the diapers. They are by far the most adorable diapers I have ever used, but frankly, they are too pricey for my budget and they run a little small. I’ll stick with my Target diapers, thank you very much.
Speaking of Target, I know that some of these products are more expensive than if you would buy similar items there, but here’s why I think Honest Co. products are worth it.
- Honest products are non-toxic and healthy for your family: With all the chemicals in so many products today, I think it is great to avoid as many as possible.
- Convenience: I love that the products come to my door every month and that I don’t have to ever worry about running low on something.
- Customized: I pick what comes in my bundle each month. You can also pick the date, so if you need them to come less often (like every 6 weeks instead of 4) you can totally do that.
- It saves money, part 1: Yes, some of these products are more expensive, but in the long-run, it saves me money because it ensures that I don’t have to go to Target as often. Every time I go to Target I end up buying way more than what was on my list, so by having essentials shipped to me, I don’t need to go to the store to buy them and be tempted by those clearance racks and pretty displays.
- It saves money, part 2: Bundle packs save you up to 35% off the retail prices of the items. For example, here is what my next order looks like.
Retail cost would be nearly $52, but I will pay just $39.95, plus not have to spend time to buy the items or the gas to go to the store.
- It’s charitable: I love that with every product you purchase, Honest Co. donates product, money, time, and effort to addressing critical health & social issues affecting children and families. I love that.
Since my January sample shipment, I have continued to receive monthly shipments from The Honest Co. and have tried just about everything offered in the essentials bundle packs. Here are my favorite products and those to avoid.
- Healing balm: LOVE this stuff. If you or someone in your family has dry skin, this stuff is miraculous.
- Laundry detergent: Both the detergent and the laundry pods work awesome.
- Conditioning mist: Adeline’s hair is getting to be that snarly, hard to comb length and this stuff makes the comb go through her hair like butter. I am a bit obsessed with it.
- Dishwasher pods: I order these pretty much every month. They clean our dishes great.
- Face and body lotion: This is a very light lotion. I really like it.
- Cleaners: I have bought the surface, floor, bathroom and toilet cleaners and have been happy with all of them. I love that they are all non-toxic.
- Bubble bath: It does make great bubbles, but it is very watery and I just don’t think you get enough for your money.
- Sunscreen: It’s awful. Thick. Sticky. Doesn’t rub in well. They reformulated it, but I still think its terrible.
- Hand sanitizer: It smells nice, but has a weird, lubricant consistency that leave a bit of a sticky residue. I don’t really like it.
- Bug spray: It smells really awful. Don’t make the mistake of spraying it in your house… the smell lingers for hours. It does prevent bug bites though!
Of course, this is all just my personal opinion. Each month I am incredibly happy to receive my box of Honest products. There’s so much to love – even the packaging.
If you are a busy mom, I definitely encourage you to try The Honest Co. They just might be what you have been looking for!