Hair in Transition

by jessicaturner on February 28, 2013

I’ve kind of been in a funk with my hair these days.

I just don’t know what to do with it.

I feel like I have had the same few styles for the past 5 years and I’m stuck.

So instead of cutting it, I have been letting it grow.

Since the late fall, I decided to get in on the curled hair trend. My hair is very fine and curling it has been a nice way to give it some body.

Matthew likes it, so that’s a nice plus. ☺

Vidal Sassoon recently sent me some new hair products to try –a bottle of Repair & Finish Spray and a bottle of Lift Foaming Air Mousse.

I used the mousse in my wet hair before drying it. I blow dried it upside down to really maximize the boost. I couldn’t believe it – it worked. My hair definitely was fuller –and it helped to set the curls too. Since receiving it I have used it every day.

The repair and finish spray is supposed to create a conditioning shield to protect your hair from damage. It is also supposed to give a flexible hold to set a style and tame flyaways. My hair is naturally very silky and smooth (I’ve never dyed it), so I found that this made my hair too silky. Maybe it would be good if you had coarse hair. I did notice that I had less flyaways though. It definitely could not replace a regular hairspray.

What are your favorite products to use on your hair? If you have fine hair and have any style tips, I’d love them!

Sponsored post: These products were sent to me by P&G. All thoughts are my own.

Mary February 28, 2013 at 7:30 am

I’ve been in this same boat! Growing my hair out from years of short hair. I also feel like my hair is just there so I started curling it too. What is your system for curling it?

I use a curling iron, which is time consuming, wondering if there is a faster way I don’t know about.

jessicaturner February 28, 2013 at 8:15 am

I just use a 3/4″ curling iron. I like loose curls and find that hot rollers make the curls tighter than I want to.

Therese February 28, 2013 at 7:59 am

Of course, I have coarse curly hair prone to frizziness, so I have to use something with a lot of moisture in it. I tend toward the John Frieda line, and it works well. This was super helpful though, as my daughter seems to have similar hair to yours. We shall see if it stays that way-I had that hair until I turned 13.

Carla February 28, 2013 at 6:02 pm

After years of flat ironing & chemically
Straightening my hair. I gave up & decided
To give my hair a rest. I found the best
Products for curly hair. Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft
Curls. If you go to http://www.missjessies.com
You can get free samples sent to your home
To try. They sell it @ Target but are always sold out.
It’s a must. Plus my husband loves my curly locks.

Anita February 28, 2013 at 8:46 am

I have very thick course hair prone to waves and curls. Moroccan oil repair mask has worked wonders for my hair. I don’t think the shampoos are anything special but the mask certainly is my beauty splurge. Aussie products work well for me also.

Ida February 28, 2013 at 9:19 am

Hi! I have fine, super curly, frizzy hair. It’s nightmare-hair here in Miami with all the humidity. I haven’t used the Vidal Sassoon products, but I have found that the John Frieda line works great. Oh and a must is a weekly deep-conditioning treatment. I also use a curling iron other than hot rollers to give my hair some body and loosen my curls. I love the look and so does the boyfriend!! Oh and don’t feel bad about the 5 year streak, my hair has looked the same since I was 13 (31 now!) I know sad!!!

Laura P February 28, 2013 at 9:21 am

I have had longish hair for 20 years. Last week I cut it short. Very short. I just wanted a change. I like it but I don’t. Very easy upkeep but very hard to do something different. I wish I had known about this stuff when I had the long hair and curled it everyday. If I grow my hair back out long again I will definitely try it. Your hair looks great!

Robin Troxell February 28, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Your hair looks great – what a great pic of you! I may try the finishing product since I have coarser, curly hair. I am so bored w/it, but my husband likes it long so I never cut it. I can straighten it but it takes about an hour – not an option for a working mom of three kiddos!

Ashley G February 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I highly recommend getting the “travel” set of Conair Big Curls. There are 5 large hot rollers in the set. I put one on each side, one on the back crown, and two underneath. I leave them in for about 2 mins and get loose bouncy curls….super quick and easy! My arm gets too tired to use a curling iron (longish hair past shoulders)! The set can be bought at Ulta with a coupon!

Ashley G February 28, 2013 at 1:51 pm

P.S. My hair is coarse (darn grays before I’m even 30!) and slightly wavy with random ringlet curls underneath and at the sides. The rollers help to curl the waves and loosen the ringlets so it’s all uniform. I’m also very excited about a cleansing conditioner very similar to Wen called Hair One from Sally Beauty Supply. It’s only about $12, and though there’s a learning curve to the cleansing conditioner method, it has really improved the texture of my hair! Btw…darling picture of you!

Dana February 28, 2013 at 8:41 pm

My hair is super fine, and thin. I get amazing results with Pureology PureVolume Shampoo and Conditioner! These products do not weigh down my hair and give it the fullness I’ve always wanted! My hair is just shy of shoulder length. I go longer in the cooler months, and wear a shorter, easy, sassy style in the warmer months!

Chaton March 1, 2013 at 6:18 pm

You look great. However, if you want curls that last, go old school. Wet Set your hair and it will last all day. You can also blow dry your hair, curl it with the curling iron in the AM and then set it in rollers while you do chores. That’s also really effective.

Laura Anne March 10, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Hi Jessica, I also have fine wavy hair – can I recommend getting the ‘Curly Girl Handbook’? It has great tips to embrace the waves, create a bit more volume and have healthier hair. I had 2 friends recommend it to me, and just bought it off Amazon last week and I’ve not regretted the purchase!

jessicaturner March 11, 2013 at 9:21 am

I have stick straight hair. The curls are all from my curling iron. :)