Reading Update: Month 1

by jessicaturner on January 31, 2013

Remember my goal to read 30 books this year?

I’m thrilled that even with a really busy schedule, I read three books this month.

Here’s what I read:

Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home: This is our current Bloom Book Club selection. It is one of my favorite Christian books that I have ever read. Prayer is a challenging, thought-provoking, inspiring read. It’s phenomenal.

Lucia, Lucia: I finished this book while traveling to Alt. It is the second book I have read by Adriana Trigiani – last month I read The Shoemaker’s Wife, which is hands down one of the best fiction books I have read in years. Lucia, Lucia was wonderful too (though not quite as awesome as Shoemaker). I even cried at one point- and crying is not something I do very often. It takes place in the early 50s in New York City and is the story of a young seamstress.

Mommy Grace: Erasing Your Mommy Guilt: I have had this book for a few years and read it over the course of the month – just a chapter or two a night. I expected it to be a little more how-to and deep, but instead it was very story-driven. It was a nice read, but I didn’t love it.

Next on my list:

Olive Kitteridge

Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions

Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe

What books did you read in January?

Lisa Johnson January 31, 2013 at 8:33 am

I subscribe to your feed on Google Reader, but it’s showing that your last post was From 30,000 Feet?!??! I don’t want to miss any of your awesome posts. Did you change anything to where updates won’t show up on Google Reader? Thanks for having such an AWESOME blog! :)

jessicaturner January 31, 2013 at 10:18 am

Well that was just a few days ago… maybe your reader needs to be refreshed? I’m not sure. It should be working. I will double check my RSS. :)

Brandi January 31, 2013 at 7:56 pm

You inspired me to read throughout January. I read No Greater Love by Levi Benkert and Candy Chand, Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander, M.D. and I am still reading Roses by Leila Meacham. I enjoyed the first two, but I am really liking Roses….about two thirds of the way through and I can’t put it down! Thanks for sharing the books you read, I love the updates. Also, I am seriously considering Prayer since I can do the book study along with Bloom.

scugirl89 February 1, 2013 at 8:54 am

My recent reads were Gone Girl and Shoemaker’s Wife (I agree, great book). Contemplating my next reads. On the list: May the Road Rise up to Meet You, The Night Circus, and The Book Thief.

jessicaturner February 1, 2013 at 10:31 am

The book thief is fabulous. I could not get into The Night Circus, though I really wanted to like it. I gave up about 150 pages in.

Anna February 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm

The Night Circus gets better and better as it goes, but it is a little strange. Would love you hear your thoughts on Olive Kitteridge – I read it last year! Will be requesting the Shoemaker’s Wife from the library soon. Also wanted to recommend The History Of Love. It was one of my favorite recent reads!

Cara February 1, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I just finished The Night Circus.
I also read in January: Behind the Beautiful Forevers (amazing) and Cloud Atlas (totally weird and underwhelming:).
I’m now reading The diaries of Richard Burton and a book about the times of MLK Jr (the title escapes me at the moment:) and a book I got at our free book exchange called Then We Came to the End.

Cara February 1, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Just checked out The Shoemaker’s Wife and though I took issue with Stockett’s The Help and some ethical issues, I think I need to read this one. Looks good!

jessicaturner February 2, 2013 at 7:12 am

The Help and The Shoemaker’s Wife are very different. I think you will enjoy it.

Kelli February 5, 2013 at 10:13 am

Just finishing up “These Is My Words” by Nancy Turner for a book club. Really, really good!

Sarah February 6, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Okay, being completely serious here…do you sleep??? I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old, and I work full time. I don’t accomplish half of why you do. Would you be willing to share a typical daily schedule ad any tips for getting things done as a working mom? I feel like I am just putting out fires most days!
Thanks!
Sarah

Dawn February 6, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Congrats! I like the book by Richard Foster- I am glad to have finished a couple of books in January as well… December through January are slow reading months for me.