Motherhood Monday: Getting Some Me Time

by jessicaturner on October 15, 2012

As you know, this past weekend I was in Indianapolis for Influence.

I opted not to go to every session. Instead I carved out lots of time for me.

I spent quiet hours in my hotel room writing.

I wandered the huge mall that was attached to the hotel by myself.

I stopped in Aveda to buy some hairspray and was greeted by the saleslady who said they were giving free massages and would I like one? Yes, please.

I went a little crazy at a Gymboree sale.

I went out to dinner with a small group of friends, laughed, shared stories, ate two small dessert and had the best time.

I watched late night TLC in a big bed.

I slept eight – ten hours every night, without any interruptions of baby cries.

I don’t travel alone as much as I used to with my old job, which made me appreciate the quiet me time even more.

That said, on Sunday, there was nothing like reuniting with my sweet kids and hubby.

Today I leave for a work conference – back to back travel and me time.

I am looking forward to a few more quiet hours at night before getting back into the swing of things on Friday.

Do you ever get away for some me time?

Bree October 15, 2012 at 10:48 am

Not nearly as often as I’d like. Most of my “me time” travel is related to work, so just a few times a year at most.

jessicaturner October 15, 2012 at 10:59 am

Mine too. I consider those trips to be a gift!

beccarayle October 15, 2012 at 11:07 am

no, I don’t get “me time” ever. I was just thinking, in order to keep everyone else happy I think I really need some. Do you have any suggestions for things to do on a budget or actually, something that doesn’t cost anything extra?

jessicaturner October 15, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Once or twice a month I will go to a coffee shop for a few hours to write or just take an afternoon by myself to go shopping. I also try to get a massage a few times a year (Groupons make this much more affordable). I come back feeling refreshed, which is good for everyone. :)

Robin Troxell October 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm

My work related trips are my me time as well! For Beccarayle, I would just think about seeing if you could sneak away to Starbucks for an afternoon to start with (can hubby or friend or mom watch the kids for a few hours?) and get used to giving yourself permission to have some time alone. I still sometimes feel guilty about it, but I really do think it makes a positive difference! I count myself lucky for the 1 or 2 work related trips I get a year that I have minimal cost for, usually my hotel and travel is covered just not food.

KristineV October 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I once did the same thing you did and I loved every minute. I got home feeling refreshed, renewed and excited to see my family. I think every woman needs time alone, especially if she is usually surrounded by other people. It’s amazing how refreshed and creative you can feel when you’ve had some solid time alone to let your thoughts wander without interruption. Extra sleep is always good too.

Cathi Kohn October 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I am trying to plan a get away for some me time

libbywilko October 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I’ve just organized my first sans family os trip to a family wedding in Nov. The two weeks of me time feels very exciting although I will miss the boys I’m sure.

Beccarayle maybe this isn’t free but maybe taking yourself to the movies to see something You want to see, browse the local library find a subject you love and take that hour to immerse yourself, find a beautiful botanical gardens to visit or a wander through some markets that wouldn’t be so relaxing if you had the kids with you. Or just send the family out for the day and you relax, nap or watch a DVD in peace and quiet.

becca October 15, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I will have to figure something out before the holiday busy-ness hits. Maybe I can take a day off of work and send the boys and hubby to work/school. :)

Julie S. October 15, 2012 at 4:58 pm

ME time is SO hard for me. I always get a terrible case of mom guilt. :) LOVED hearing you speak this weekend!

jessicaturner October 15, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Mom guilt is hard, isn’t it? I find that I am a better mama when I carve out some me time. :) Thanks so much for coming to my session.

Rebecca October 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Sounds awesome.

I’m a single mom so there isn’t an option to do things after the little monkey is in bed. Every couple of months I take a sick/mental heath/ME day – I still get up early and take the boy to daycare but then spend the day alone – always starting with a served to me – sit down breakfast. It’s amazing what 8 hours alone (usually doing errands I have to do anyway) will do to revive me!

jessicaturner October 15, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Yes, 8 hours alone – glory!!

Erin October 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Not really…how in the world do you hold down a job with all the time you take?? My work schedule/environment just doesn’t have that kind of flexibility.

jessicaturner October 15, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I have had a lot of weekend trips lately, so they haven’t required much time off. I’m also thankful to have a few weeks of vacation each year. Work life balance is something I am VERY grateful for and do not take it for granted at all. I have definitely had seasons of much less flexibility/available vacation days.

Cat Moore October 15, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I get quiet time to myself at Starbucks when I go “work” every couple of days. “work” is writing, editing pics, blogging, etc. etc. It’s nice and it refreshes me. I really enjoyed the conference and it was so nice to meet you!!!!! :) Blessings and glad you made it hope safely. Surprisingly, we didn’t run into ANY rain! Yay!

annie October 19, 2012 at 2:30 am

i’m glad you got to combine going to influence with carving out time for you! i loved hearing from you. thank you so much for all your tips!