Motherhood Monday: The Gift of Friendship

by jessicaturner on June 11, 2012

My friend Ann stayed with us this weekend, and it was a glorious gift. Since she lives in Canada, our quality time together is limited, so we made the most of this weekend.

We stayed up late, shopped til we dropped, ate great food (I made these banana blueberry muffins (amazing), this cinnamon roll breakfast dish (a test run for  Adeline’s party – it was only okay), and this chicken marsala crock pot dinner (so, so, so good!)), went out to brunch and got pedicures with Annie, and had rich conversation about God, motherhood, marriage and life.

I have been working hard to continue to cultivate the friendships in my life because they are so important. Like Ruth and Naomi, I want to do life with my friends, pray with them and be there.

Ruth 1:16: But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.

As a mother, it is easy to get lost in your kids and never make time for what fills you up.

God made us to be relational people, and I know I am a better mom, wife and woman when I make time for others that enrich my life. (Did you see this (in)courage post I had on Saturday about this topic?)

Do you find this to be true? Are you better when you make time for friendship?

Lisa-Jo@thegypsymama June 11, 2012 at 9:12 am

Awww that last photo of you guys with the kids – love it! What fun to see you all together!

Debbie June 11, 2012 at 8:23 pm

So happy Ann could visit…and that you had a wonderful time together….I love when your heart is happy :)

Emily @ The Pilot's Wife June 11, 2012 at 9:13 pm

These pictures make me so happy.

Kristen Strong June 11, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Holy smokes, these pics make me miss you, Ann, and Annie so much. Love you girls to the moon and back!

Robin ~ PENSIEVE June 12, 2012 at 3:15 am

Jessica Turner, you are one of the most intentional investors of people I know :) . And you reap what you sow, lovie. I KNOW your visit together meant a lot to each of you…so thankful for this celebration of friendship and life :) .

xo

Kelly June 12, 2012 at 6:34 am

I read something in a church bulletin this week — your calendar reflects who you really are. Meaning — just how much time do you spend with family, good friends, God . . . .are your priorities in the right place? Jessica, you are a breath of fresh air and I truly love reading about your life, your cherished friendships and your relationship with God. (and your family is beautiful!)

jessicaturner June 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

You are too kind. Humble thanks.

Dawn @ My Home Sweet Home June 13, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I just want to photobomb myself into that picture, because I would love to hug your necks, you precious girls. So cute, and I agree with Lisa-Jo—love that last one!