Motherhood Monday: Easy Kid Dessert

by jessicaturner on April 2, 2012

I love, love, love making fun, quick and easy treats for my family to enjoy. Since I work full-time, quick and easy is key!

Today’s recipe for Mandarin Orange Jello with COOL WHIP fits this criteria perfectly.

When I was a little girl, my grandma always made this delightful treat. When the opportunity arose to write about COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, I couldn’t wait to share this with each of you.

It is still one of my favorites and perfect to enjoy during these warm spring and summer months. (Although honestly, I like making it year-round).

Of course, what makes it extra special is COOL WHIP Whipped Topping on the jello. YUM!

You will need the following ingredients:

• 1 box of orange jello
  • 1 large can of mandarin oranges
  • 1 container of COOL WHIP

To make:

Prepare the jello according to the package directions.

Pour the jello into four glass dishes. (My grandma used to put the jello in fancy glasses which made the dessert feel even more special.)

Drain and rinse the mandarin oranges.

Spoon the oranges into the bowls of jello, being sure to distribute equally. (You’ll use 1/4 of a can per bowl of jello).

Refrigerate the jello for eight hours.

Top the jello with COOL WHIP. (And be sure to lick the spoon after topping your jellos! I know I can’t resist this part!)

Serve and enjoy!

This was the first time I made this recipe in a while, and Elias was so excited to try it.

I was sure to put extra COOL WHIP on his bowl of jello. The mix of its creaminess with the oranges and jello – SO good.

Like any little kid, his favorite part was dipping his finger in the COOL WHIP and licking it off. He giggled and giggled.

If you follow me on Facebook, then you know that I joined Weight Watchers on Friday. I was thrilled to realize that sugar free jello and mandarin oranges are both 0 points and COOL WHIP is only two points, making this a very Weight Watchers friendly dessert. I have a feeling I will be eating this A LOT over the next few months.

Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. Sponsored posts are purely editorial content that we are pleased to have presented by a participating sponsor. Advertisers do not produce the content.I was compensated for this post as a member of Clever Girls Collective, but the content is all my own.

Kelli April 2, 2012 at 6:38 am

we had something similar but rather everything was mixed together and I think you added cottage cheese! we called it “Orange Stuff” :) Love Elias’s face…perfect!

CB April 2, 2012 at 7:10 am

Don’t the chemicals and high fructose corn syrup in cool whip bother you? It would be so much better to make your own whipped cream (and only takes a minute) or even use the stuff out of the can…

Cheri April 2, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Ditto what CB said. I used to use Cool Whip all the time, especially the “lite” and “low fat” until I read the ingredients! There is nothing nutritious at all in this tasty but unhealthy treat. I use the stuff in the can. Not as low calorie, but much better for you!

CB April 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Cheri – I read somewhere that the contents of Cool Whip aren’t much different than the tub it is packaged in. That pretty much said it all for me. Jessica – I know that much of what you post is for compensation and this is too – but just wanted to make sure you knew what you were endorsing here…

KL April 2, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I have to agree. Cool Whip has some pretty nasty stuff in it! We love to make our own whipped cream – super easy and a lot healthier!

jessicaturner April 3, 2012 at 8:05 am

I’m so glad you all shared this about Cool Whip! This dessert would definitely be good with any whipped topping. I have never made my own whipped cream. Do you have any good recipes to share?

(And regarding compensation, I only do compensated posts that genuinely fit with my family and what we do. This jello treat has been a favorite for most of my life, but perhaps it is time to update the whipped topping on it!)

Jolene Olsen April 3, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I know there are Cool Whip haters out there, but put what you want on your Jello!!
As for whipping cream, it’s easy! Just whip a carton of cream (heavy or not whatever you like) and add sugar and vanilla. I don’t measure, just taste and see how it is and add a little more if needed. The only thing about whipped cream is that is separates, so you pretty much have to make it and use it fairly quickly.

jessicaturner April 4, 2012 at 10:05 am

ha! THANK YOU!

Ashley Baker April 4, 2012 at 7:49 pm

This looks yummy! I totatlly need to try this.
-ashley

Jessica April 4, 2012 at 9:44 pm

My foodie mother-in-law gave me the Williams-Sonoma Quick Cream Whipper for Christmas. I’m more of a “squirt it from a can” kind of girl, but if I ever feel compelled to make my own, I’ve got a cool gadget for it!