101 Kids Easter Basket Ideas

by jessicaturner on March 22, 2012

101 Kids Easter Basket Gift Ideas

I love putting together Easter baskets! My mom always did an incredible job with our Easter baskets when I was kid.  I love being a mommy now and getting to do the same.

If you have read this blog for any length of time, you know I am a huge proponent in shopping sales and year-round. That ensures that: a) we don’t spend a ton of extra money in one month on gifts b) I always have a decent stockpile of gifts c) I can get REALLY great bargains. You can find lots of wonderful deals for Easter baskets even if you aren’t a year-round deal shopper like me. I highly recommend checking out The Dollar Store or the dollar section at Target and/or Michaels. These stores offers dozens of little gifts that kids love! I was amazed when I went to The Dollar Store this weekend at all the fun little toys and gadgets they had to offer (particularly in the realm of superheroes – Elias’s current obsession).

Another way to find excellent bargains are by shopping on sites like Groupon, Zulily and Totsy. Each of these sites offer toys, clothes and gifts at significantly discounted prices. I love putting something personalized in my kids’ baskets. This year Elias is getting a superhero t-shirt with his name on it (I can’t remember where I ordered it from!) and Adeline is getting a personalized book from Paper Hat Press (we love their books!).

For the photo I also tucked in her Baby Be Blessed doll because I think it would make a perfect Easter basket gift. (The dolls are handmade and include your child’s name and a special scripture verse). I also think it is important to include something faith oriented in your child’s Easter basket since Jesus is why we celebrate Easter. As much as I love the fun of Easter baskets and egg hunts, they do not replace the true meaning of this important holiday.

Below is a list of 101 Easter basket gift ideas. I hope it inspires you to put something you hadn’t thought of in your child’s Easter basket this year (some links are compensated affiliate links – thank you for clicking!).

1. Books (A few ideas: That’s Not My Bunny or Pat the Bunny for a baby; The Runaway Bunny, A Beatrix Potter Treasury, The Parable Of The Lily and The Easter Story for toddlers and young children. I just ordered these last two books for Elias’s basket – which is why they aren’t in the picture!)
  2. The Jesus Storybook Bible (Every child needs a copy of this Bible. If your child is older, you might get their own bible with their name on the cover.)
  3. Candy (I’m not big on candy, but a big lollipop or a chocolate bunny – definitely a fun treat. PEZ dispensers are also awesome.)
  4. crayons
  5. Markers
  6. coloring books (We always buy our coloring books at The Dollar Store. They have so many to choose from.)
  7. Silly putty (I used to love getting silly putty in my Easter basket!)
  8. toothbrush (The Dollar Store has REALLY fun kids toothbrushes. Elias is obsessed with his Spiderman brush that we got there.)
  9. Kids watch (Again, The Dollar Store!)
  10. Small doll (I love Adeline’s Baby Be Blessed doll)
  11. stuffed animal (Kohls has $5 stuffed animals and the proceeds support local children’s hospitals)
  12. t-shirt (maybe one that is personalized)
  13. puzzles (Melissa and Doug Puzzles are awesome)
  14. Barbie
  15. Superheros (Elias would love this Marvel Super Hero Mini Figure Set)
  16. stickers
  17. Toy animals
  18. Small game
  19. Card games (Love this set of four Children’s Card Games)
  20. Gift card (iTunes, Target, Borders, etc.)
  21. Play-doh
  22. Paint or Do-A-Dot paints (we love to dot paint!)
  23. Plain wood, canvases or ceramics to paint
  24. Foam stickers and shapes (You can usually find these really cheap at craft stores)
  25. Bath soap
  26. Bubble bath (We love The Honest Company’s bath products)
  27. shaving cream
  28. Bath crayons
  29. Crayola Color Bath Dropz
  30. Hair accessories
  31. DVDs (Veggie aTales ‘Twas the Night Before Easter)
  32. CDs (The Tuneables and You Are My Little Bird are huge favorites around here. I think I like them as much as the kids. I have also heard great things about the Seeds Family Worship albums)
  33. Pool toys
  34. Sandbox toys
  35. Cars
  36. Sidewalk Chalk
  37. Swimsuits (I bought Adeline’s swimsuits this year from Zulily)
  38. Rain gear
  39. Bouncing Balls
  40. Big ball (soccer, basketball, Football )
  41. Army men
  42. Lipgloss set
  43. Nail polish set
  44. Bubbles
  45. Jump Rope
  46. Fun band aids
  47. Kite
  48. Fun summer shoes (ie: sandals or crocs)
  49. Kids sunglasses
  63. Baseball cards
  64. Legos
  65. Fairy wings
  66. Magic wand
  67. Necklace
  68. Earrings
  69. Lisa Leonard decor (sign up for her newsletter on  the website and you’ll get a coupon! Easter orders must be placed by 3/27)
  70. Painting smock
  71. Pajamas
  72. Photo canvas for their room
  73. stencils
  74. Small purse or wallet
  75. Wind-up toy
  76. Planes
  77. Small instrument  (recorder, tambourine, cymbals, etc.)
  78. Temporary tattoos
  90. Mini-Piggy Bank
  91. chia pet
  92. Comic books
  93. Keychains
  94. Diary/journal
  95. Picture frame
  96. Bike accessories (horn, streamers, etc.)
  97. Posters
  98. Wall decals
  99. Movie tickets
  100. Silly Bandz
  101. Magazine subscription (Highlights, Ranger Rick)

What would you add to this list?

For more Easter inspiration, follow me on Pinterest.

Claire March 22, 2012 at 10:19 am

What fabulous ideas! I can’t wait till I have a little (or some nieces and nephews!) to spoil!

Kathy L March 22, 2012 at 10:31 am

Have you seen the super hero PEZ dispensers? They are a great addition to the Easter Basket. Already picked up Superman for my son (7 1/2).

jessicaturner March 22, 2012 at 1:01 pm

We love PEZ. Can’t believe I left them off the list, though I think I will add them with candy.

Cameron {The Stimson Chronicles} March 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm

These are great ideas, Jess! I found cute plastic gardening tools on sale at Hobby Lobby for my daughter’s Easter basket. I got her a wheel barrel, a set that includes a rake and shovel, and a water can shaped like a duck. I know she will love it because what kid doesn’t love to play in the dirt? :) The Easter bunny is also bringing sunglasses, socks, a stuffed bunny, window gel stickers, and play-doh! I went a little overboard, but it is so much fun!!!

jessicaturner March 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I always go overboard. I just love, love, love giving gifts! :)

Traci Katz March 22, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I love your list! Here are some more ideas. Hot Wheels cars, Squinkies, nail decals, bookmarks, batteries (we always seem to need ‘em), homemade trail mix, packets to flavor bottled water, cake mix or muffin mix, hex bugs…

Miriam molloy March 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm

We are in the process of making the switch to cloth diapers. So I’m putting a couple in her basket because they are cute colors!!

Michelle March 22, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Not sure the going rate for Easter baskets but a $32 magic wand is a little out of my price range when we have 6 children–ouch–that seems high

jessicaturner March 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Maybe the wand would be better suited for a special birthday gift. :) I love Lisa’s products because they are keepsakes that will last for years. Good thing there are lots of other ideas on this list!

Kate March 22, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Fun ideas :) This year we are stuffing our three sons’ baskets each with a largish chocolate bunny, a cadbury cream egg, a handful of small chocolate eggs, a carton of berries, a plush lamb, bubbles, sidewalk chalk and new sunglasses. My husband and I always do something little for “mom and dad” as well and this year that will be new travel coffee mugs and cadbury eggs :) We also do a family basket that will be stuffed with hot crossed buns, hard boiled eggs, sausages, green onions and yogurt for a special breakfast!

Alisha March 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thanks for all the great Easter gift ideas!

linda March 23, 2012 at 11:40 am

Love your list. I am buying my grandson some Build and Grow kits that they sell at Lowe’s. He loves those and they have some new ones. He is really into this since we started going to their free Saturday morning workshops.

Kelly March 23, 2012 at 11:54 am

This year I thought I would get a break from making Easter baskets, until I overhead my daughter Amber expressing her anticipation, “I wonder what special trinkets will Mom place in our baskets this year”. The funny part is that Amber is now 26, it’s funny how they are still kids at heart. So thank you for reminding me that Easter baskets are still smile makers!!

Estrella March 23, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I make gift baskets myself that I sell. I just finished making 24 Easter baskets and I love doing them. I did a couple for babies with baby lotions, talc, wipes, etc. And i also did two of them Spiderman themed and Cars for boys. But what I have a difficulty putting together is a basket for an older girl or boy, say between the ages of 9 to 12.
I could use some ideas. Thank you.

melissa March 25, 2012 at 8:26 pm

What about an Itunes gift card or a gift card to a book store? You could also do some “make it yourself” jewelry kits, a fun picture frame to put in a picture of her and her BFF, a cute necklace or hair band.

Tammy January 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Chapter books, movies, word searches, beyblades, handheld games, card games, crafts

Cristy March 3, 2013 at 12:21 am

I love to do a mani and petti basket for the older girls. Include: colored cotton balls for the grass, nail files, clippers, toe sepperators, foot and hand scrub, cuticle pusher, a few different nail polishes, nail polish remover, and hand and foot cream. That’s just a few things I’m sure you could add or subtract anything that you might not like.

Stacey March 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

I would love some ideas for teenagers- boys and girls 13 to 17…now that is a shopping challenge for all of you shoppers!

Heather April 2, 2012 at 7:17 pm

My kids always liked movies, books, cds, gift card to a favorite store or for movie theatre. Also scrapbooking tools to put their school friends and memories in and picture frames are great too, also a nice jouranal and cosmetics and jewelry. Hope this helps!!

tiffany April 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm

As far as the boy I know my son loves gum and body spray and body wash my son likes axe and as for a teenage girl maybe some magnetic nail polish or those neat peel and stick nail polish things just a few ideas

Desirae March 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I always arrange my baskets around what my kids (15,14&6) are into that year. This year my 15 year old will be planned around her car she is getting this summer. She has said she wanted certain seat covers, so I plan hers with her car in mind. My 14 year old is into her nails right now. So a gift cert and nail stuff for her. My 6 year old….well he loves so many things so it will either be video game, comic book, or super hero themed. One big themed gift with some other little cheap, but useful trinkets along with some candy. Those will be our Easter baskets this year. And your ideas have helped me remember to add the little touches. Thank You

Susan March 24, 2012 at 4:14 pm

For those hard to shop for teens – gift cards to the movie theater, frozen yogurt, Best Buy, gas station, iTunes, fast food places, etc. themed around their favorite things (video games, places to have fun with their friends…), nail polish, craft supplies (beads/scrapbook stickers, rubber stamps, etc.), automotive things (air freshener, CD holder, key chain), DVD/Blu-ray movie, CDs, gum, beef jerkey, nuts, trail mix, jewelry, makeup, colored pens, hot chocolate or powdered drink packets, puzzle books (crosswords, Sudoku, word search), flip flops…

Liz March 24, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Love all these ideas. I try to find gifts the the kids can become occupied with immediately. Mini Lego or Playmobile sets work well. It gives them something to put together while the adults make dinner or just chat. A company called “Klutz” makes these little books that include easy, on-the-spot crafts. One of the series they produce is called “Chicken Socks” and has items like “Make Your Own Paper Flowers,” “Castle – a foldout kingdom,” “Clothespin Cars,” Clothespin Cuties,” “Paper Purses,” “Foam Rockets,” and many more. Kids can get right down to creating these little crafty toys as soon as they get their basket! Check it out at klutz.com.

April March 24, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I try to do swim suits, flip flops, sunglasses and a beach towel. Summer is coming! Double duty WIN!

Kathie April 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I love this idea!! Thanks!

Ana March 25, 2012 at 10:40 am

Great ideas, i already went to the dollar store and got a few things, but still wanted to add a few more. I like the idea of the gift card, that way my son can go to the toy store and pick something. My son’s name is also Elias by the way :)

melissa March 25, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I’ve got 3 kids (9,9, and 5) and they’re each getting a new DVD movie (Chipwrecked, The Muppet Movie, and some LaLa Loopsy movie), a new book, a small toy that I know they’ve asked for since Christmas, probably a new spring shirt and then a couple small candy items. It’s nothing big and fancy but I know that they’re going to be happy! :)

Kim @ The Educators' Spin On It March 25, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for sharing this great resource of ideas for Easter Baskets! I just pinned it onto our Spring Board http://pinterest.com/pin/79798224617544793/ Dollar Store and The Dollar Spot at Target are always great places to keep your eye on for interesting finds to be made into games and Easter fun!

cindy March 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

thanks for sharing ~ great list!

Alicia March 26, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love to put a kite in the basket, u can get them at the dollar store, fun activity to do with the kiddos outside together

brittney March 26, 2012 at 2:57 pm

For all of you looking for teenage ideas……. My mother buys the boys a new hat for easter and turns them over to put goodies in them. We always got easter hats instead of easter baskets =)

Grandmar March 27, 2012 at 5:48 am

I so wished there was something like Pinterest when I was on the annual hunt for perfect additions to my kids Easter baskets! How grand! As someone previously mentioned, those grown kids still look for something the good old Easter Bunny possibly left just for them. When they were little, that silly bunny let itself in and left paw prints (flour & glitter) all the way upstairs to their bedroom doors! Then came the Grandkids! That tired old bunny still manages to deliver baskets; paw prints included, to those same bedroom doors for the 2 generations. Funny, I’ve yet to hear a peep about the paw prints being fake. Granny makes sure they know what Easter is really about and Springtime is a sweet reminder of new life and hope. Trees & flowers that looked really sad through winter are now making a beautiful appearance. Fuzzy kittens, puppys, chicks and bunnies are out, too. Even silly old bunnies!

Jamie Smith March 29, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Wow, that is a really great idea! I think I will start teaching this to my son, the way you think is beautiful! he is only 2 but it is never too late to start, and I think he will think it is fun! Beautiful thinking hun =)

Jenica March 27, 2012 at 10:12 am

Great Ideas! We’re getting our 4 girls items for our 1st beach vacation this summer! Sunscreen, beach bucket and other fun toys for the beach.

Julie March 27, 2012 at 11:04 am

I wanted to add another idea you might be interested in. My son LOVES the Rizers CD’s. Every song is a different scripture verse. It’s the one kids CD we can put on & all enjoy. You can’t help but sing along…very upbeat & fun!

jenny March 27, 2012 at 9:28 pm

i love your non-candy ideas! my little ones love band aids and i like giving them each a box that they can just play with…we also like 3M blue painters tape- it’s nice to give them all a roll and we don’t have to worry about it getting stuck on our nice wood trim. also, for older kids i just got my nephew a travel suduko game…and hex bugs are a great, small item for a basket.

Jamie Smith March 29, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I come from a very low income family growing up and we never had very much for holidays. We were always thankful for what we got and were happy with what we got. Now that I am grown up and have a 2 year old son the holidays are special just like when I was a kid. We are also a very low income family and I had trouble finding a way to make my son an Easter basket this year. Thank you for your great ideas, they really helped me and my husband decide what to get him, the dollar store is a really great store to shop at and you can find most of these items there. Thank you for the ideas, it is really appreciated that someone would have a site on great ideas. This really made me feel better and have a better day! =)

Melissa L. March 31, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Thank you all for such excellent ideas. I couldn’t help thinking how useful these ideas would for Christmas stockings! I will be keeping this list handy for December too!

Jane April 1, 2012 at 2:29 pm

This list is awesome. For our extended family we are doing a pinata and I was at a loss for ideas to fill it. Parents of course said little to no candy and not junk to throw away. There are some great ideas on this list that I will for sure be using. (Bandaids, sunglasses, lip gloss, chapstick, jerky, fruit snacks, bubbles, chalk, bike accessories… just a few ideas I am going to use.)
Thanks!!!

Symmetry April 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Great list! I made a Spring handwriting book for my daughter’s Easter basket – You can see the pin here http://pinterest.com/pin/167266573630428530/
Thanks!

Shirley April 4, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I love all ur ideas :)

Julia April 5, 2012 at 9:24 am

Love all these ideas, can I share you blog on mine?

Jane K April 5, 2012 at 11:24 pm

When the kids were little I often looked for egg-shaped items. Found great Latin rhythm instrument that’s like an egg-shaped rattle at the music store. Also egg-shaped tops, chalk, marbles, glow-lights.

Other ideas – colorful folding umbrellas, plastic watering cans, bright origami paper, Chinese yo-yos, magic trick/small prank items, colorful hair ribbons to decorate the basket and use later, fun socks, gyroscope, bird whistles, bird & butterfly books, flower pressing kit.

Virginia S. April 6, 2012 at 7:28 am

my daughter is really into tea parties right now so i got her a tea set, a tea cup pig with its own cup too cute! plus whats a tea party without a fancy dress and she getting some muffin mix so she can make cupcakes for her tea parties using her cupcake maker she got for valentines day. i also got a little candy but not too much because she is already so hyper as it is so i try to focus on the other stuff than candy. my sons basket is filled with books race cars superheros some finger paints and a superhero costume bc both of my kids love dress up! for my infant he gets a super soft blanket, lotion, some teething rings, a rattle, hat for summer and some crinkle blocks my other son has some and he loves them. sorry to ramble on but it feels good to know i got stuff that my children will love. plus i thought the tea party theme was awesome! enjoy your easter

Trinisha April 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I just loved all of those ideas, reminded me so much of what my mom did for me and my sisters growing up. As we get older and have children ladies we seem to forget those people who helped us get these pride and joys. How about our mates! I always shave included socks, underwear and maybe even handles in my littles baskets…I wanted to share that idea!!! But in our mates how about just simple things, socks, t shirts, lotion, body wash, maybe a gift card for whatever they are into and lastly for the basket, you could do those bendable binds(to toss their mated up socks in the future) and lastly a hat…all men love hats (the hat idea, was amazing by the way). And honestly always keep in mind… its the little things…for both kids and our loved ones!

Trinisha April 6, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I meant sandles! Darn smart phones!

Bonz April 16, 2012 at 7:02 am

These gift basket idea list will be very helpful. Thanks for sharing! :)

Gift Baskets August 3, 2012 at 6:00 am

This article just give me ideas what are the gifts that I can give to my little buddies. Thank for sharing.

Therese Guy February 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Trying to promote healthy living this year. The hunt itself is what is so fun for my granddaughters so I am filling the plastic eggs with mini carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.. After they find all their eggs I am going o have a table set up with different dips for their veggie filled eggs.

Rebecca March 17, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I LOVE this idea!!

Crystal March 7, 2013 at 8:37 am

To go with the gardening tool you could go with some Crocs or rain boots or rubbery footwear for the garden (doubles as much needed spring footwear in our house)

Sally March 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

My boys always get a new beach towel that is monogrammed for the pool. New toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, body wash, deoderant for the sports bag, Sandles or flip flops, audio books, books, bookmarks, and a new mechanical pencil for school. No candy- gum or breath mints and scripture cards.

Rebecca March 17, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Thank you for this wonderful list! I was looking for fresh ideas, this being my 10th year preparing Easter baskets! I especially appreciate the affirmation in not putting much candy in. I love the idea of one chocolate bunny. Happy Easter!

trish March 21, 2013 at 11:10 am

Thanks for all the great ideas! Some of these ive never thought to do :)

Tanya March 23, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I am always looking for a creative item to use instead of a “basket” I love the hat idea. One yr my boys were into the spy gear so I went on ebay and found a few small briefcases and filled them with spy gear and of course lots of candy. They loved them and still play with them 3 yrs later. Another yr I got plastic lego storage containers from Walmart and put in a few small lego sets with lots of candy of course! Again they are still using these to store all their misc. lego pieces. Starwars is another great idea- I found a starwars pail one year and put in a small Starwars lego set, color books, and starwars figures. It was a hit.
I am at a loss this year as my boys would really like Ipods, but wow they are costly….I thought about getting ipods and putting them in those big plastic easter eggs…….

Jessica Huth January 22, 2014 at 9:00 am

Last year we bought them suitcases :) trying to figure out this years to plan ahead! :)

Charity March 27, 2013 at 11:55 am

One fun thing I do each year is hide the baskets and my kids get a starting clue to begin the hunt. At the end of all of the clues they find their basket…and they find eggs along the way! Last year we did bikes at the end of their hunt, but it was a special year and they had outgrown their old ones. This year we are keeping it simple with small dollar toys and $5 gift cards for their favorite ice cream/coffee place. I bought a program called Riddle Me for $20 and it makes putting a hunt together a cinch, you just choose locations and clues already made (or create your own) and print them out. It makes all parties fun since once you have the download, you can use it as much as you want.

Fenella September 11, 2013 at 6:09 am

What fun gift ideas for Easter and many that I had not thought of. I shall save your list for next Easter (I was actually looking for Christmas gifts, lol!).

nikon photography November 9, 2013 at 7:12 am

I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or blog
posts on this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled
upon this site. Studying this information So i’m glad to express
that I have a very good uncanny feeling I
found out exactly what I needed. I such a lot indisputably will
make certain to don?t put out of your mind this web site and provides it
a glance regularly.

the most perfect present for your chocaholic friend December 21, 2013 at 10:04 am

Many of us, myself included, travel back and forth to visit family
during the holiday season. It is best to plan ahead
on what to give so as not to buy something so generic that the
recipient will just leave the toy untouched.
I have given some of these items on my list as Christmas presents
myself and believe me, they were not appreciated.

gift baskets by mail December 23, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Woah this weblog is wonderful i really like studying your articles. Keep up the great work! You know, a lot of people are looking round for this information, you could help them greatly.

Jessica Huth January 22, 2014 at 8:58 am

This year mine will be 2 and almost 4. Last year they each got matching snack containers, Tupperware container, fork and spoon set, a zak canteen, small kick ball (dollar tree), 2 mini puzzle mats (dollar tree), a chocolate cross (fundraiser), Easter eggs filled with hair clips for her and fruit snacks for him, sidewalk chalk for him and crayons for her and I put everything in brand new child suitcases instead of baskets!! :) they were the circo brand and I got them on sale for $15 each. We were going to buy them anyway and we saved money on baskets! :)

Lisa Fetty February 15, 2014 at 9:48 am

there’s a product called trip clip which is like a clipboard with activities on it for kids. It’s great for the car.

Jesse March 12, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Those little handheld fans are fun! Also at the Dollar Store!

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) March 19, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Wow – what a wealth of ideas!!! THANK YOU!

Mike March 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Loved the ideas…and my 5 year old is named Elias also. Great name! :-)