Instagram Tips for Project Life

by jessicaturner on February 20, 2012

Pin It
I saw an idea on Pinterest to use coin collecting pages for Instagram photos. I ordered a package and decided to try them out this week (you will see my full week on Project Life Tuesday tomorrow). Here are my tips for using these pages and instagrams in  your Project Life album.

Tip #1: Set-up all your instagrams on one 8.5×11 sheet,which makes it easy to keep everything the same size. It also is a very cost effective method to print the instagrams. Instagrams are 2×2, and I found it easiest to drag them right from the Instagram website. It was easier to do this than pulling from your phone because the phone photos are larger and need to be resized to put into the coin slots. This only took a few minutes in Photoshop Elements.

My 8.5x11 page of Instagrams

(Side note – if you don’t have Photoshop Elements 10 for editing your photos for Project Life, I can’t recommend it enough. Plus, right now it is on sale for only $59.99 on Amazon, which is a steal. I just paid almost $100 on Amazon last month!)

Tip #2: Don’t be afraid to cut your page protector: The pages have 20 slots, which really is 40 slots if you include the backside. That is A LOT of instagrams.  Since I didn’t have even close to that many photos, I trimmed the last row off the page, which eliminated 10 slots.

My trimmed page had 15 slots per side instead of 20

Tip #3: You have a lot of slots – be creative! I cut a bunch of 2×2 journaling blocks and accent pieces of paper to integrate with my instagrams. This helps to break up the images and ultimately create a better looking page. Of course, you don’t have to limit yourself to paper – brads, ribbons, stickers, etc. would all look great in the small slots.

Tip #4: Use similar styles of paper as a unifying device on your page. Since so many slots are a part of these pages, having a unified look is very important. For my Instagram page, I used all Love, Elsie paper from a few years ago. By sticking with the same brand and style, the completed page has a lot of design synergy. Tip #5: Add a tab to the side of your page. No particular reason for this tip except it looks so cute. I love that mine is labeled “instagrams”. I envision that future generations will be like “what the heck is instagram?” Have you used coin collector pages in your Project Life album? If so, what tips would you add? Be sure to stop back for Project Life Tuesday tomorrow to see how this page is incorporated into my weekly spread! Pin It

Jessica February 20, 2012 at 6:07 am

Those make for great pages!! I’ve decided that since I didn’t commit to a daily or weekly Project Life this year, I’m going to do monthly spreads for all the random memories and bits of life. I still do traditional scrapbooking, so big events and special pics still get their own special treatment, but I like doing more collage-style stuff too. I bought the PL kit a couple years ago, and use the pages (just design A at that time) and cards interspersed with my traditional 12×12 pages.

Loved Elias’ comment about the “bad guys”! We watched the State of the Union with Kate, and now she recognizes “President Obama” (even his voice on the radio), but during the SOTU, she was getting my goat by saying “Boehner” over and over and refusing to say “Obama”!

Susi U February 20, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Ahhh child after my own heart!
Anywy, To sway away from politics, I just wanted to add that I too have not committed to doing daily, nor weekly PL. In fact, I haven’t even started yet! I am just learning about it, and mulling ideas around in my head. I don’t have any kids at home (well, not little ones, my 21 yr old daughter still lives at home), so I’m trying to figure out how I’ll do PL.
I didn’t buy the kit, and as of yet haven’t even bought any of the page protectors! I have decided to do it DIY anyway. If I decide ton start one of these days, I’m going to just kind of piece it out on a 12×12. Wish me luck!

Deb Alvarado February 20, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thanks for the tip on the Amazon sale! Just ordered. I’ve been wanting for a while, but trying to budget. The sale gave me (and the husband) the little push. Now to figure out how to use it!

Sarah K February 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Two questions for you, Jessica.

First, are there significant differences between PSE8 and PSE10 that make it worth spending the money to upgrade?

Second, how did you do the super-cute little tag on the side to label the insert “Instagrams?”

jessicaturner February 20, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Sarah – I have no idea re: elements, but I am sure you could google it.

The tag is just a sticker from October Afternoon (I think).

Susi U February 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Now, to the subject at hand… Instagram pics. Again, I don’t know much about it, although I’ve had the app on my ipod for a long time. (no iphone yet, but nhopefully by this summer). I’m kind of messing around with it, and a bunch of other photography apps that I have that can export pictures to Instagram. I didn’t know that there is an IG website. I’ll have to check it out.
I have Photshop Elements, but a much much older version, I think it’s 5.0, but I don’t remember as I’m not using my laptop. Now… I need to learn how to use it!!
This PL is a pretty big project! I may have to wait until next year to start, lol!

Karen February 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I love what you are doing with the instagram pictures. I am rather new to all this so would you mind explaining exactly how you get your pics from the instagram website. Thank you
I

jessicaturner February 20, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I just copied them and pasted in Photoshop

Marty Ward February 20, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Do you go to Instagram.com to get your photos to copy and paste?
When I go there it just tells about the iPhone app.
Thanks! Love the pages.

jessicaturner February 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I post all my instagrams to twitter and facebook, so that is how I access them online

Heather Johnson February 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm

This is great. I am all digital, and last week did up a similar post detailing how to do this with a Shutterfly layout page that looks exactly like the coin page you show! You can see the post here: http://heathershomemadehome.com/what-to-do-with-extra-photos-from-the-weekmonth-add-them-to-shutterflys-templates/

Great minds must think alike:)

Nirupama February 20, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Thanks for the tips Jessica!
I did something similar with picasa. It is free downloadable program from google. It has a collage feature and one of the options is grid. (i am hopeless with photoshop). I am happy just printing them out at home too. I will try this new page protector idea, all of those squares are like scrapping in a haiku!

For people with questions, this site has been working out for me. I just right click on the images and it gathers all of my instagrams even if I don’t tweet them. http://followgram.me/nirupama01

jessicaturner February 20, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Thanks for sharing this!

Banu H February 20, 2012 at 9:50 pm

WOW, Awesome post. I also bought PSE 10 from Amazon just a few weeks back at 80 bucks..Cannot believe they have gone down today. but loving PSE 10 though. This idea for instagram photos is just awesome. Off to get some coin pages.

jessicaturner February 20, 2012 at 10:06 pm

enjoy!

Melanie Jackson February 21, 2012 at 8:29 am

Thanks so much for this tip!!!! I have been taking A LOT of pics using the instagram app on my phone but was debating how to use the pics in my PL album. Printing the instagrams individually at $.49 to in some cases $.59 each was a painful thought. This is such a cool and creative way to show off all my pics and still save some money. This tip has made my WEEK!!!!! Thanks again.

Melanie

jessicaturner February 21, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Hooray!

cathy thomson February 22, 2012 at 5:07 am

thanks for the tip Jessica, I’ve done a similar thing but turned them into homemade cards for Christmas. I always seem to find it hard to buy cards of faith that aren’t a bit old fashioned!!!!

Linda Miller February 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm

hi cathy, for cards try dayspring or cardsforchristians.com.
love this project btw :)

Heather December 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Two questions;

Any idea if I could do this with PSE6?
Do you think I could do this with Hipstamatic pics?

jessicaturner December 3, 2012 at 5:28 am

Yes and yes

Katie January 15, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Thank you for reminding me about this post in your 20 Ques. Answered post, last year I didn’t have an iPhone or Instagram so it wasn’t that relevant for me. Now I have both and am glad to have this to reference. I pinned your artical as well.

laura@printing-instagram September 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Hey, My name is Laura and I blog about tips for displaying printed Instagram photos. I have been doing lots of looking around to find unique ideas and I just want to let you know I love this idea for a scrapbook! I love seeing the crafty ideas that people create to display their Instagram photos! I really hope this idea inspires people to print their Instagram photos!