Project Life Tuesday: Week One

by jessicaturner on January 10, 2012

The Mom Creative
Welcome to Project Life Tuesday 2012! If you are new to The Mom Creative, welcome. I hope you will stay awhile. I’m Jessica – wife to Matthew, mom to Elias, a silly and spirited three-year-old, and Adeline, a delicious, growing baby. I’m also a marketing professional, savvy deal finder, photo lover and memory keeper trying to juggle it all.

I started Project Life Tuesday in 2010 because:

• I needed to keep myself accountable and on top of my photos each week.
  • My family loved being able to count on a weekly post with pics of the kids.
  • I thought others might want to keep themselves accountable too.

It was a huge blessing and so I am excited to be kicking off my third year of this series.

Each Tuesday, I will share my spread from the previous week, as well as host a linky for readers to link up their pictures/layouts. This year, Epson is sponsoring Project Life Tuesday, and they provided me with their Epson Stylus R2880 Large Format Photo Printer (C11CA16201) for many of my album’s photos. Printing photos at home is hopefully going to help keep me on track!

If you link up, please be sure to include the Project Life Tuesday button or a link to The Mom Creative in your post.

Notes about my album: Before showing my layouts, I want to share a few details about my album:

• I am using the colbalt kit this year.
  • I stamped all my weekly 6×4 cards and have placed them in my album. It just seemed easiest to get this done all at once. I used a date stamp from a past Project Life kit. If you don’t have on, Amazon has date stamps
    for less than $5. You can also find them at office supply stores.
  • I printed my photos at home using my new Epson printer. I loved how convenient it was. I plan to print most of my pictures at home this year, especially large format images, using the Epson Stylus R2880 Large Format Photo Printer (C11CA16201)
  • For a complete list of the products I am using, and more about my approach this year, click here.

Now, on to my completed pages.

Cover page: For my cover page, I mostly  stuck with elements from the kit. The label stickers are by October Afternoon and the letters are Heidi Swapp (from about 5 years ago). This is the first year I have added photos to my cover page and I really love how it turned out.

Week one (click on image to see detail): Each week I want to try to include some “bits of life”, so that my spreads are more than just photos. Here is what is included in this week’s layout:

• Photos
  • Journaling cards
  • Feature card of my phrase for the year – “choose joy”
  • A little sponge animal of Elias’s
  • Theater ticket and promo piece from The Addams Family

Freebie: Tomorrow I will be offering a FREE PRINTABLE called 100 Bits of Life for Project Life. This exhaustive list should inspire you to think outside the box when considering elements to add to your Project Life album. Be sure to stop back tomorrow to download it. I think this will be a great resource to refer to all year long.

You turn! (please remember to put the link to your actual post and not just to your blog.)

Pin It

sharon71 January 10, 2012 at 2:26 am

Great layout, shows a lovely picture of your family life.

I will be looking forward to tomorrows post about the printable.

Thanks for letting me share.

Claire January 10, 2012 at 3:07 am

Oh I love this! I started doing daily photos, but think I may actually change to spreads for big events instead – I’d rather have lots of pics of special moments than tonnes of daily ‘I had Starbucks and did lots of marking’ posts!

susan January 10, 2012 at 3:11 am

This is my second year of doing project life and love every time i do it. I look forward to your post about the printable. Your pages look great !

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 5:30 am

I think it is going to be a great resource. It will be up tomorrow! Thanks for your kind words.

Krisi January 10, 2012 at 3:22 am

This is my first year doing Project Life and doing it digital. I am really hoping that I am able to keep up – for at least January. At the minimum it would give a good look into our lives for the month of January! I think I can do this though. Two pages a week – simple format… I am ready for the challenge.

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 5:30 am

It is a wonderful project!

MommaKristi January 10, 2012 at 5:34 am

This is my first time linking up and my first scrapping after a several year hiatus!! Thanks for allowing some accountability with this linkup!!! I’m using my Project Life to capture day to day stories and count our #1000Gifts!!!

Thanks Jessica!!!
Kristi

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

So fun. I know Ann will love seeing that.

Christy Wallace January 10, 2012 at 5:57 am

I love your cover page! I love the idea of putting your word of the year on your first week layout! I look forward to the freebie. Thank you for keeping us all accountable for Project Life!!

Jessica January 10, 2012 at 6:09 am

Looks like the weekly view (rather than 1 pic a day) is going to work great for you. Makes me want to tackle PL this year, but it’s a daunting prospect!

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

Yes, I love the weekly approach already. So freeing. PL doesn’t have to be daunting – that is the beauty!

Jenn January 10, 2012 at 6:50 am

Hi Jessica, I have read your blog for sometime now and want to let you know how much I love your blog, your ideas, your scrapbooking, and all the freebies/deals you share! Thank you so much for all your ideas!

Love your cover page with the pictures! I can’t wait to order my page protectors and get started on my layouts–I think I want the multi pack or style A… and they are both sold out. At least I will be be able to get tons of ideas from your linky!

Happy to be on this journey with you!

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

I so appreciate your kind words.

Candace January 10, 2012 at 7:07 am

Thanks for hosting again this year, Jessica!! I continue to love and sing the praises of Project Life. :) With young children it is such a wonderful (and simple) way to document our lives. I also wanted to say that I LOVE that you added in your word/focus for the year…you have inspired me to do the same when I work on my title page! (still anxiously waiting, my kit should arrive ANY DAY now!!)

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 10:19 am

I thought adding that was a great addition. On my cover page I also have a scripture verse for the year. I love personal touches like that.

kristina January 10, 2012 at 7:48 am

Love your cover page and week one, Jessica! Hugs!! :)

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 10:19 am

Thank you!!

Emily @ The Pilot's Wife January 10, 2012 at 8:14 am

Looks great, Jess! So looking forward to meeting Miss Adeline next month! :)

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

You are going to eat her up!

Melissa January 10, 2012 at 8:57 am

I love how bright and vibrant your cover page is :) Beautiful! Also, thanks for hosting this link up :)

jessicaturner January 10, 2012 at 10:18 am

Thank you and my pleasure!

Abby Devine January 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

Love your cover page! This is my first year to PL and 1st link up to Project Life Tuesday. I think this is going to be a greay way to keep myself accountable to staying up to date and of course all the ideas I will gain.

Will be back tomorrow, for the freebie. Thanks!

Patricia/nyc January 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

Jessica, this is such an inspiration for me!! I really LOVE how you are using your Choose Joy theme throughout the book! I’m off to get journaling NOW! :)

Stephanie Hanes January 10, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I love your weekly approach – it’s what I am doing this year too. I also love that you are doing your layouts each week instead of waiting until the end. I’m going to find some time this month to finish what I did last year and then start doing the same thing for this year. I only made it through June last year, so I’m going to keep it all in one album. I also love the idea of writing your phrase for the year on a journaling card. My word is JOY too. :) I didn’t link up yet, because I shared my weekly photos already on Friday and I want to link up when I start having layouts actually finished. Thanks for motivating me to get it done!

Becky P. January 10, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I came here from Becky Higgins’ blog and I’m so glad I did! What a great way to see what other Project Lifers are doing. :) Your title page is lovely and I like all the journaling you included. This is my first year trying this approach to scrapbooking and I am loving it!

Michelle January 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I ♥ the idea of Project Tuesday! I’m so excited {and motivated!}. Thank you for hosting, Jessica!

Love your title page and all the special elements in your week 1 layout. So special. =)

Nathalie Hardy January 11, 2012 at 12:57 am

Thank you for hosting this! I love seeing all the pages, ideas and enthusiasm

Natalie January 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

Love your title page. I haven’t done mine, I was kinda stuck…but you have inspired me on that. Will link my week 1 spread shortly. It just needs journaling. :)

Stephanie Click January 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Thanks for hosting again, Jessica! I was wondering if you will post back in a few weeks with the approximate cost that you think your prints are running with the new printer. I’m debating buying one so that I can print at home (and also print larger sizes such as 6×12 that I can’t get easily), but I’m scared off by the cost of the ink, supplies, etc.

dawn January 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Thank you Jessica for hosting another year for us. Your album looks wonderful and your kids are still cuties!!

Cindy January 13, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Hi! I was looking for some inspiration and The Becky Higgins Blog turned me in your direction. I am new to Project Life. I decided to start by making a binder for last year so that I can catch up. I literally started this tonight and I am stumped and was wondering if you could help. I have pictures from let’s say my son’s b-day party and there are vertical as well as horizontal pictures and I want more than just a two page layout. So I used photo pocket page Design A and Design D but I only needed the one side of Design D but now for my next event I am forced to use Design D even though I might not have vertical pictures for that event. Does tihs happen to you? Any tips or suggestions or am I not doing this right?

jessicaturner January 14, 2012 at 9:43 am

Unfortunately, there is no way around that. You have to use both sides in the same way. Perhaps you can crop some of your vertical photos so that you can get 2 in a 6×4 spot or something? Good luck!

Monia January 15, 2012 at 2:09 am

hey!

Great work… I bookmarked the page and sure will check back and see what others do… I will think about doing something the like but living in Europe the binder and kit are just going to be very expensive so I might have to do with something I find here in stores – ordinary binder and photo bags and so on… Pity though :-(
However, LOVE the inspirations…