Motherhood Monday: Beef Stew for Dinner

by jessicaturner on January 30, 2012

I use the crock pot at least two-three times a week. We rarely go out to eat, since we find it is so much cheaper to stay at home, and we usually like what we cook better! Therefore, the crock pot helps us to have delicious home cooked meals at a reasonable hour (since I get home with the kids around 5:30-6).

One of my favorite winter crock pot meals in the winter is beef stew. This recipe is a blend of a few that I have found, and it is very flexible. Add a little more of one ingredient, a little less of something else, it’s all good. :)

crock pot beef stew recipe

Here are the basics:

• 1 cup of red wine (I use a merlot)
  • 3 cans cream of celery or mushroom soup
  • 2/3 box of beef broth
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes
  • 4-5 potatoes (peeled and diced)
  • 1 onion (diced)
  • Bag of mixed veges
  • 1 lb stew meat (frozen or thawed)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Garlic

Mix everything together in the crock pot and let cook all day! We usually eat it with warm bread or biscuits.

Enjoy!

Pin It

Randi January 30, 2012 at 8:14 am

Just checking…so you do not need to cook the meat first? Is it about 7-8 hours on low? If high, would you suggest 3-4 hours? Thanks…I’m a crockpot newbie and have only done a turkey veggies soup that is delicious. :)

jessicaturner January 31, 2012 at 1:59 pm

nope, you do not need to cook the meat first. You could if you wanted to, but not necessary.

I always let it cook on low all day… on high I would say 4-5 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it is.

Randi January 31, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Thank You!

Nikkilee Puzey January 30, 2012 at 9:31 am

Posting from Australia here…. When you say you eat it with biscuits???? What are biscuits? Biscuits here mean a sweet cookie that you might have with a cup of tea… Sounds strange to eat biscuits with a stew. :) Have been following your blog for a few years now, your kids are adorable!!! :)

jessicaturner January 31, 2012 at 1:43 pm

They are like flaky rolls… here is a recipe:

Thanks for reading my blog!

Brooke January 30, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Yum! Last winter (it’s summer here now) I considered getting a crock pot. It’s still on my wish list!

Cindy January 31, 2012 at 12:35 am

I LOVE cupcake wine! So yummy! Beef Stew is one of my favorite comforts foods. Reminds me of my childhood. We always ate our stew with brown sugar muffins. Yum! Praying everythings goes well and quickly for Adeline.
Cindy

Nirupama Kumar January 31, 2012 at 12:48 am

I don’t eat beef (or any meat) but I love cooking with wine, especially cupcake wine. I love adding it to pasta sauce or soups. I’m not a wine expert, but it tastes amazing to me to drink a glass along with those meals.

jessicaturner January 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I don’t generally care for wine, but I do love cooking with cupcake wine too!