31 Days :: Documenting Thankfulness

by jessicaturner on October 26, 2011

This is the 26th day in a series: 31 Days of Memory Keeping. Check out all the posts here.

Perhaps the most profound form of memory keeping is the documentation of our gratitude for life’s blessings.

For You

After reading Ann Voskamp’s One Thousand Gifts, I started a gratitude journal. In this journal I record the little and big things I am grateful  for.

This is a beautiful form of memory keeping.

In that book I have recorded:

• getting pregnant
  • bedtime kisses
  • a new job
  • delicious dinners

Each of these gifts is a piece of my story. I think a personal gratitude journal, like this one from Blessings Unlimited, is something that anyone can start, and a legacy of thankfulness is a beautiful one to leave.

For Your Family

In addition to the personal gratitude journal, Blessings also offers a family gratitude journal  based on Ann Voskamp’s One Thousand Gifts, and words don’t do its beauty and practicality justice.

I think every single family should own one of these books.

Truly, if this series motivates you to do anything, I hope it motives you to purchase and use this family gratitude journal.

I think it is that important and meaningful.

Family gratitude is life-changing.

The journal can be used in a host of different ways. Each family member can record what they are thankful for or a family scribe can write down the day’s blessings. I love the idea of incorporating your child’s handwriting in the book.

Like the birthday book that I love, it includes pockets for special mementos and spots for pictures.

It is easy to do (no matter how busy you are!) and the finished product is one that will be treasured in your family for years to come. Imagine looking back in 20 years on the things your six-year-old was grateful for.

Instilling gratitude in our children’s lives from a young age is a attribute that will bless them their whole lives.

And by discussing and recording things we are thankful for, life change happens.

Already, the more we talk about blessings with Elias (who is just three), the more thoughtful he seems to become. Prayer time often includes thanks for his teachers, his friends, even Buzz Lightyear and pumpkins.

This gratitude journal is a wonderful memory keeping tool for documenting your family’s blessings.

And with Thanksgiving a month away, it seems like the perfect time to start a family gratitude journal, doesn’t it?

Today, buy one of these gratitude journals and make a commitment to pursue gratitude as a family.

Special thanks to my sweet friend and confidant Ann Voskamp for the photos and, more importantly, for inspiring and motivating me to live a life of eucharisteo, giving thanks in all circumstances.

Cindy October 26, 2011 at 7:04 am

Such a lovely journal. I too, started keeping a gratitude list after reading Ann’s book, but would love to have this gratitude journal to accompany my book and list. :) It’s now on my Christmas list! Thanks for sharing this great journal!

Fun Mama - Deanna October 26, 2011 at 7:25 am

I started a Gratitude journal in 1998 or 1999 after reading Sarah Ban Breathnach’s book Simple Abundance. I have gone years without writing in one, and just found an old one and started writing in it again. It has entries from 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005 and now 2011. It may be the only place I wrote about my husband proposing. I wish I’d kept it up over the years! I write at least 5 things that I’m grateful for, and it’s almost always little things about the day. It’s only if I’ve had a really bad day that I write about the bigger things.

jessicaturner October 28, 2011 at 9:13 am

I want to check this book out!

Sheila October 26, 2011 at 10:23 am

Thank you for this – I need to start journaling more.
Also, not sure if you have ever used Photo Bin but there is a living social deal today for 20 page hard cover photo book for $18 with shipping. Pittsburgh North

Jennifer Fletcher October 27, 2011 at 12:42 am

Jessica, I tried to order a number of items from Blessings Unlimited. I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada and was wondering where I can get them here. It doesn’t appear that Blessings ships outside the US. I’d sure like to order some of these journals, not only for myself by my daughters and their families. Great Christmas idea! Start a new tradition :) Hope to hear from you. Thanks Jennifer

jessicaturner October 27, 2011 at 2:41 am

unfortunately, they just ship to the US right now. :(

Julie October 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Jessica,
I just recieved one of the journals I ordered using your freebie code and oh my goodness! I have used alot of online photo product companies but I was blown away by how BEAUTIFUL it was. It made me so excited to recieve all the other stuff I ordered (for practically nothing, thanks to you). Thank you so much for introducing me to this fabulous company! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
Blessings!
Julie

jessicaturner October 28, 2011 at 9:12 am

Yay! I know, they are AMAZING!!