Sciatica and Mommy’s Copycat

by jessicaturner on April 4, 2011

This weekend, my sciatica really became inflamed.

I was walking with my hands on my hips a lot and generally not moving easily.

Clearly Elias picked up on this because this is how he was walking around all day.

It KILLED me.

I used to put my hands on my hips a lot as a kid, but for Elias to be doing it – especially in light of my recent back pain – oh my word.

I love that kid.

If you have any sciatica tips, please share them. It is going to be a long three months.

Julie Barber April 4, 2011 at 7:54 am

Jess,
Welcome to my world and I’m not even pregnant :-)… I find that a warm rice bag, the chiropractor, and stretching/ leg exercises help. Love you and hope this helps!

Angela Martens April 4, 2011 at 10:12 am

I suffered with this when I was pregnant. It was so bad that I would sit at my desk and cry at work because no matter what position I was in I was in pain. I was sent to a physical therapist and it helped tremendously!! Ask your OB to send you!!

Paula April 4, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Ouch! What does a chiropractor say?

Candace April 4, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I am not a regular chiropractor visitor, but when I was pregnant and desperate, someone suggested this. I went ONE TIME and had no more pain the rest of my pregnancy!! For me, it was a miracle! :) I hope you find something soon!! It is SO painful!!

Mary April 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I had so much pain I couldn’t walk with my second kid and the doctor prescribed water therapy. I went to a pool a few times a week and did walking and stretching exercises. Those days were so nice. It helped so much. A lot of my problem was caused by separated stomach muscles but you could give it a try. It is so awful. I feel for you.

Vanessa April 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I love his shoes!!!

Rachel April 4, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Ask your doctor to refer you to a physical therapist who specializes in women’s health/pregnancy. I’m five months pregnant and I thought I had sciatica, but it turned out to be SI joint problems. The pain was debilitating and I struggled to even walk. The PT made a few adjustments on me and showed me some exercises to do at home. The relief was pretty much instant! Either way, it’s miserable, and I hope you can get some relief soon.

Megan April 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I’m currently recovering from a cracked vertebrae and a pinched sciatic nerve, so I can sympathize. My physical therapist taught me something that isn’t necessarily pleasant when you’re doing it but has made a world of a difference in pain reduction for me – put a softball on the floor and sit on it, putting pressure on the ball and the part of your hip/leg where you’re getting the most sciatic pain. Roll your weight around as necessary to reduce knotting of muscle fibers, staying on the sore spots for 20-30 seconds. I hope you find some relief, and soon.

linda April 4, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I recommend laying down and resting whenever you can, that will help the inflamation. I had it very bad with my second baby and the great news is that when I got bigger, the pain actually lessened. Hopefully when the baby grows and shifts it will go away!

Patricia April 5, 2011 at 1:12 am

Jessica,
Hope you’re sciatica is feeling better and some of the pain is relieved. Do you ever sleep with pillows under your legs at night? It will relieve some of the pain at night. Also a pillow between your legs when you sleep on your side. Lots and lots of pillows!! Elias is soooo cute and is the spitting image of you! What a cutie.

Patricia April 5, 2011 at 1:13 am

your –

kelli johnson April 5, 2011 at 1:14 am

adorable 😉

Margie S April 5, 2011 at 2:51 am

I got this with my second and third pregnancies. What helped me the most was yoga. I did prenatal yoga during my last two pregnancies and my yoga teacher told me to do the SWAN pose as she called it (but that was just to make us awkward preggies feel more beautiful). It is really called the pigeon pose. If I did it daily and sometimes more than once a day, I noticed a difference. I think seeing a PT is a great idea. My OB offered to refer me to one, but my pain was never bad enough. I say, why suffer? See a specialist!

Suzanne McClendon April 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm

How cute that Elias is imitating mommy. :) I’m sorry that you’re having the sciatica problem. It is no fun, I know. Sometimes I couldn’t move because of it. I will pray for you to be free of this pain and very soon.

Sarah K April 5, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I have absolutely no advice whatsoever on what to do about your pain (hope you’re better soon!!), but I am dying to know what you did to that photo! Did you run an action on it or is it from the iPhone Instagram or something? I just love the processing!

stephanie tyler April 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I used to come home from work and put a heating pad in my comfy chair and NOT get up! Such relief!!! If you do this daily it should be a little more bearable! 😀

Tawnda Andrews April 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Chiropractor. Go to http://www.icpa4kids.com for one specializing in pregnancy and pediatrics.

Tawsha Connell April 5, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I was going to make some suggestions but it looks like everything I’ve shared has been covered. The only other thing I can add is sitting on a giant exercise ball while at your computer. I suffer from severe sciatica and it’s been off and on since I was 17. After pregnancy has been the most difficult. Looks like we all need to start a support group. Wonderful tips!

Lily April 6, 2011 at 1:16 am

I’m so sorry you’re in pain! I don’t have any good advice, but will say a little prayer for you today :) Your son is absolutely adorable!

p.s. I love the new look- so fresh and simple, my favorite kind of blog =)

Emily April 6, 2011 at 1:58 am

Ah…pregnancy sciatica is not fun at all! I also went to Physical Therapy and it helped SO MUCH! The one thing that I still make sure to practice when I am in pain: form semi-fists and put your thumbs in the small of your back (there are little nodules there that I push hard on). Bend backwards (my first reaction was to bend forward when I was hurting). Hold the pose for a few seconds, return to a neutral position and then do it all again. Each time try to go a little farther than the time before. I hope this helps, but I would definitely check into PT or seeing a chiro. Mine was bad most of the second trimester but decreased drastically during the last trimester.

Liz April 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Someone told me crystalized ginger should help you out, I can say it is extremely strong but I have heard this does wonders!

Andrea April 8, 2011 at 3:07 am

Jessica..so good to bump into you at both the midwives and daycare today. Thanks for telling me about this blog. Headed to the chiropractor tomorrow. Hoping for some of the same relief from my sciatica that others have mentioned above. :-)

aimymichelle April 23, 2011 at 1:54 pm

hah that is so stinkin cute.