Her Name

by jessicaturner on April 13, 2011

With Elias, we knew his full-name before my 20-week gender ultrasound.

But this time around things have been different.

We (mostly me) have grappled with spelling, middle names, monograms, etc.

But finally, we have a name!

Adeline Olive Turner

My sweet friend Lisa sent us this heart banner for Adeline. I LOVE it and can't wait to hang it in her room, use it in pictures, etc. It is an amazing keepsake that I think she will have it her whole life.

You might remember that we were originally going to spell Adeline, A-D-E-L-Y-N-E, just like my great-grandmother did. But after much consideration, we decided to spell it the traditional way because so many people thought it was AdeLYNN, not AdeLINE. Of course, the name is still a tribute to my dear great-grandmother, who was a gift of a woman. She loved to sew and garden and was strong and independent. Adeline means noble.

Two dresses that Adelyne made for my mom that my Adeline will wear! Aren't they AMAZING!?

Olive is for Matthew’s Mammom, Olive Abigail  King. If you have read any of his books, you know she was his biggest spiritual mentor. She was a Godly woman who loved fiercely. She also journaled every day of her life about mostly her day-to-day activities – and we have many of them! I think she would have been a fan of Project Life. Olive means kind one and peace.

One of Mammom's journals from 1970. She wrote in these day planners every day.

I can’t believe our sweet Adeline will be here in less than three months.

Heart banners found here.

Emily @ The Pilot's Wife April 13, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Of course you know I love the name! And I think the traditional spelling is smart. That heart banner is just perfect too!

Patricia April 13, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Jess, I just love the name ~ so unique and nostalgic. Beautiful that her sweet name is made up of a version of your great-grandmother and your hubby’s mammom. What is Elias’ full name? Does he also carry a family name? Cherish these last 3 months before Adeline comes. Your last few months as a family of 3…

How was your first day at work????

Patricia

jessicaturner April 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

Work is going great! thanks for asking.

Dana J April 13, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I have and Adalyn (Ada-LYNN) but believe it or not people still call her Ada-LINE. We looked and looked for a name that was unusual but would be easy to pronounce by looking at it. We didn’t want her to constantly have to correct people and it seems we didn’t succeed *sigh* Oh well, it’s still a beautiful name- no matter how it is pronounced :) Love the middle name too!! I love that her name will have such meaning.

Jill April 13, 2011 at 1:07 pm

What a sweet little name- I am so excited for ya’ll :) I love it!!!! Love u!

Lis April 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I love the story behind and meanings of her names! Can’t wait to see her.

Angela April 13, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Beautiful name choice! Though I’m bias because I have an Adeline Mae, she was named after my husbands Grandma and his Grandma’s best friend, both who passed away before our Adeline arrived.

Kristie April 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm

It is beautiful! I love names like this that celebrate where we come from and unite both families! And I am so excited you are having a baby girl!!! I have a son and just had a baby girl and it is bliss! The print in the background is fabulous, where is it from???

jessicaturner April 14, 2011 at 11:13 am

It is from Blessings Unlimited

Cari Dugan April 13, 2011 at 5:13 pm

This is just too sweet. Melting.

Cari Dugan April 13, 2011 at 5:14 pm

….did you order that art banner from somewhere? I love it!

Kris April 13, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Beautiful! What a blessing she will be! Love her name, and love the banner!

jessicaturner April 14, 2011 at 11:13 am

Pictures just don’t do it justice – Lisa is so talented!

Cecilia April 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm

We changed the spelling of my daugther’s middle name (she is named after my great grandmother) as well. I was afraid that she would constantly have to correct the spelling.
I love the names you chose, I’m a big fan of names with a story.

Cara April 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm

It’s such a great name! I had wondered before how you were pronouncing it though now that I saw the original spelling it seems obvious with the one ‘n.’ I’m sure spelling it the way you are will make things even easier for her throughout life:)
My grandpa died 11 days after I found out I was pregnant with his first great-grandchild. I was able to call and tell him before he died which I’m so grateful for. My husband and I wanted to honor him with our child’s name – we already had first names picked out and tried and tries to get a girl’s middle name to work but with a first name of Howard it’s a little hard;). His middle name was Samuel – I liked just Sam and my husband liked variations I didnt like. In the end, we couldn’t come up with anything and went with Ayden which isn’t even close, but we love it and I still kid of think of itbas honoring him since we tried so hard to do so;)

Cara April 13, 2011 at 10:55 pm

“Still kind of think of it as” – man iPhones make me look like I dropped my phone halfway through a sentence:)

Claire April 14, 2011 at 12:08 am

Such a beautiful name – and those journals are amazing!

Cxx

Jen Mirabile April 14, 2011 at 12:56 am

I just love her sweet name and that it was your Great-Grandmother’s name!! My daughter just turned 1 last week and her name is Adelyn (Lynn) Christine. Her first name didn’t come from anyone in the family I just thought it was such a beautiful name and her middle name is mine. :))

I love checking in from time to time on your blog to see how you are! I started reading when you were pregnant with Elias and now he is getting so big!! So fun to now read about your pregnancy with your daughter. :)

p.s. LOVE the lisa leonard heart banner!!

Rachel Chip April 14, 2011 at 2:28 am

I love your little girl’s name…but I actually have a question for you about your little BOY’S name :) We just named one of our twins Elias. He and his brother were born 13 weeks early, so I hadn’t quite figured out “Elias” yet (We actually finalized our boys’ names the day before I was admitted into the hospital – it was all a big surprise). My big question is: How do you make it possessive? “Elias’ toy”? or “Elias’s toy”? How do you actually pronounce it? I respect your opinion on this greatly :) Thanks so much!

jessicaturner April 14, 2011 at 11:16 am

Regarding pronunciation, check out this video of Matthew and Elias. Matthew says his name several times. http://mydaddyblog.com/?p=325

And possessive is Elias’s. I know it looks strange and is counter to what we were taught in school, but the rules have changed and that is the correct way to do it. (We even have a book called Dr. Suess’s ABCs!)

Praying for your sweet twins.

Brooke April 14, 2011 at 2:50 am

Love the history of the names. Totally understand your spelling change, as I was pronouncing it AdeLYNN, but then that could just be the Aussie in me.

I’m struggling with names too. For us it was hard first time round and it’s hard this time too. We like simple classic names that can’t be shortened. Tough choice.

oh amanda April 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Adeline Olive is GORGEOUS! I love it.

{and have I mentioned I love your new design? super sweet!}

a

Caroline April 15, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Jessica,
LOVE the name and LOVE the spelling (this comes from a Caroline who gets Carolyn quite often)!!
Also, your blog is fantastic. Very inspirational to get a working mother’s perspective who is juggling it all!

aimymichelle April 23, 2011 at 3:39 pm

such a cute name. and dresses too