Mom’s Surgery: The Details

by jessicaturner on October 19, 2009

As I mentioned yesterday, my Mom is coming to town to watch Elias this week! My family hasn’t seen the peanut since July, so needless to say, they are very envious.

Speaking of my Mom, I wanted to write an update about her aneurysm and surgery.

The aneurysm is 14 mm, which is somewhat large. She will be having a procedure called coiling done to the aneurysm on November 20. Here is a great picture I found on Mayo Clinic’s website.

Mom will have to have 14 coils inserted into her aneurysm. As you can see from the picture, normally the coils just stay in there. Unfortunately, the artery that Mom’s aneurysm is off of is bulging (think of it as the base is wide instead of narrow), so the coils could fall out…. therefore, the doctor will also have to insert multiple stints to keep the coils in the place. The stinting makes the procedure significantly longer – four hours instead of 45 minutes.

Thankfully, her doctor is very skilled at the procedure – he has done about 800 and has a very low complication rate. His average is 1.5%, which is significantly less than the national average of 5-7%. The aneurysm is in the part of the brain that controls her motor skills and speech. It is an easy area to get to, but very delicate, as you can imagine.

Matthew, Elias and I will all be going up to Wisconsin for the surgery. We continue to pray daily that she comes through the surgery with flying colors. Typical recovery time is 1-2 weeks, and if all goes well, she will only stay in the hospital one night!

We covet your prayers and are grateful for every one. Thank you to each of you who have asked about her and the surgery.

________________________________________
Share/Save/Bookmark
Twitter me – I’m JessicaNTurner

Deborah October 19, 2009 at 1:09 pm

I am keeping your family in my prayers. I am also praying for your mother and the medical staff who will be taking care of her.

Heather Allen October 19, 2009 at 1:18 pm

You mom is in my prayers. I hope she has a great visit!

abby October 19, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Hi Jessica,
I found your blog through Angie's and have been reading for awhile but never commented. I wanted to touch base today to tell you that my dad just had this same procedure done last week. Unfortunately, we didn't know about his aneurysm until it burst, but we praise God that he is still alive with no apparent damage! The doctors put 2 coils in his, so it must have been smaller. Here is his caringbridge site if you are interested: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tedtriezenberg. Anyways, I just wanted to encourage you by sharing this and telling you how well my dad is doing after his procedure. I know how scary it is to have your parents in the hospital!! Love and prayers.

Lauren Kelly October 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm

I'll be thinking and praying for your mom and hope she pulls through without any complications!!

Jennifer October 19, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Thank God that they can reach it without a craniotomy! That is really good news! One night in the hopsital… that is great news! I will be praying for a full recovery!

Tiffany October 19, 2009 at 5:36 pm

I will be praying for your mom and her surgery. Enjoy your time with her for her visit!

Claire October 19, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Oh, I will be praying!

Cxx

KK October 20, 2009 at 3:22 am

Please know I am praying for your Mom. Praying for her surgery to go well and praying for healing.
Praying for peace of mind and safe travels for you and your precious little one.
Blessings this evening and always,
Kaye
Matthew 21:22
Psalm 46:10

jayfersgirl October 20, 2009 at 5:00 am

I have been thinking about her a lot — I am AMAZED that she could only spend one night in the hospital. That is astounding. I'm so glad you'll all be up there with her during that time. Keep us posted, as you want to:)

Rebecca October 20, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I am praying for your mom! I live in Wisconsin too and we have some great hospitals & specialists here. I am sure she will be in the hands of great doctors. I will also pray that God guides their hands during the procedure.

Enjoy your trip to California!

marci October 20, 2009 at 7:59 pm

My mom had a similar procedure. Her aneurysm was right behind her eye socket. The doctor had to put the coils in the artery in her neck. This limited the blood flow to her brain, but through the Grace Of GOD she is alive and well right now. Her procedure was over 5 years ago! We serve a BIG God. Put your hope in Him. I hope sharing this is an encouragement to you and your family.