MOPS Recap… Or, I Love Christy Nockels

by jessicaturner on September 29, 2009

On Saturday, I went to the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) convention. (I know, I am actually not yet a MOP, but I will be soon enough). My friend Twila, who works for the MOPS publisher, was kind enough to get me a ticket. It was an awesome day. I worshiped, shopped, hung out with Angie (who joined me for the afternoon) and was so refreshed. It is rare that I take a day out for me, with no agenda other than to connect with others and dwell at the feet of the Lord for extended periods of time. I left hungry for more… and compelled to share some of my reflections with you.

The highlight of the day was without question, Christy Nockels.

In case you forgot, I LOVE Christy Nockels. Though she isn’t much older than me, I wish she could be my mentor. I find her so refreshing… her heart for the Lord, her sweet spirit and her gift for worship.

If you follow me on Twitter, then you know that I was planning to go to her main worship set on Thursday night. However, I had to work late and didn’t get to go. I was so bummed. Needless to say I was beyond thrilled that she actually was leading worship ALL WEEKEND, so I got to hear her TWICE on Saturday.

Be still my heart.

Stillness was actually not possible… I was too overwhelmed.

Anointed is really the only word I can use to describe Christy. I have been fortunate to have come to the Lord’s feet numerous times through her live worship – and through her albums.

This weekend was no different.

I think my life circumstances made my worship experience more powerful.

I am a mommy now.

My priorities have shifted.

I am more overwhelmed by life.

I understand more of what it means that God, as my FATHER, loves me, for I am now a mother, madly in love with my son. (Which is something we have been discussing in our Crazy Love discussion too!)

And singing with Christy was some of the most powerful time I have had with God in a LONG time.

Since we can’t all experience Christy here on the blog, video is the next best thing. :) If you have a few minutes, and you are a mom, take some time and watch these videos from Christy. I believe they will resonate with you, as they did me. They are not of her singing, but of her chatting about life as a mom and a daughter of God.

[download][download]

Being A Mom {Part 1} from christy nockels on Vimeo.

[download][download]

Being A Mom {Part 2} from christy nockels on Vimeo.

Some truths Christy shares:

• By the holy spirit, I can be the wife and mother God has called me to be.
  • I must invite the glorious into the mundane – this truth is something that I need to hear and be reminded of every single day. It resonated with me the first time I watched this video a few months ago, and then Christy reminded the MOPS moms of it again.
  • Psalm 37:4-7: The Lord can be trusted to give us the desires of our heart. He has dreams and plans for our life.
  • God has given us desires and dreams before the beginning of time – a cause. He will make that cause shine. This is so freeing, as a mom and a woman, that God has called us to be where we are.
  • God planned for me to be Elias’s mother, and has given me everything I need to mother him – and the same is true for you.
  • Sometimes, it seems that no one else can appreciate and see the little victories, but God does, and he cares and his faithful.
  • As you commit to the Lord in the small things and the mundane, I must remember that God is at work.

I need to invite the glorious into the mundane.

Do you?
________________________________________
Share/Save/Bookmark
Twitter me – I’m JessicaNTurner

Lauresa September 29, 2009 at 11:34 am

Thanks Jessica. I needed this today. Be well.
Reese

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama September 29, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Wow, she is awesome and anointed! Thanks for sharing this word I needed today!

Anonymous September 29, 2009 at 12:34 pm

okay, I had never heard of Christy before, and I am SO glad that you shared this with all of us! amazing words, coming from an amazing spirit. so much to take in, I may just watch the videos over and over a few times! :)

thanks Jessica for allowing the Holy Spirit to express this through you and Christy today…

Amanda Fogarty

Jessica September 29, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I so wanted to go to convention this year but our leadership goes every other year. Oh, well…next time! She does rock!

Anonymous September 29, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Hi Jessica!
I can't tell you how much I needed to hear this today. Thanks so much for sharing! It was definitely a God thing that I stopped by to "visit" you today! 😉
Have a great week!
Love, Kristin

Samantha @ Mama Notes September 29, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Thanks for this. I needed it. I watched it while my baby was playing, so I need to watch it again when he naps so I can take it in better. :)

Great things to think about.

Rebecca Louise. September 29, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I try and I will always try to :) x

Angela Kim September 29, 2009 at 6:30 pm

thank you so much for sharing…I was so blessed. I weeped. And I put the videos on my blog too. THANK YOU.

oliviasmommy07 September 29, 2009 at 11:08 pm

Thank you so very much for sharing this with us today. Like so many others who have said the same, I NEEDED to hear this today. She hit the nail on the head for sure!! I am going to share these with several of my friends who are also moms. Thanks so much!!!

Catie September 30, 2009 at 2:43 am

Thank you so much for that post! It hit right to where God has been breaking me of my past regret. Amen!

Jen September 30, 2009 at 4:40 am

Thank you so much for sharing this with your blog readers. I love this. I too wish I could have been there at the MOPS convention. I was so inspired by the two video clips of Christy that you shared with us I put them on my blog as well. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

Elaina M. Avalos September 30, 2009 at 8:17 am

I love Christy Nockels. And have for such a long time. Its been her and her husband's music that has left an imprint on my life that is hard to explain in a little comment box. :)

And as for your question, yes. I do need to invite the glorious into the mundane. I'm not a mom though I would love to be. Nonetheless, at this time in my life in particular, I definitely need to.

Shoofly Mama October 3, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for posting this. Christy is so anointed, and so down to earth as a mom as well! ps. MOPS is for moms birth through kindy, so what are you waiting for??

Anonymous October 3, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Thanks for sharing….I LOVE Christy Nockels, too, and have listened to her music for years. My children are a year or two older than hers, so I feel like we're at the same stages in life. As much as I've sung along with her music over the years, I've never seen her in person. This was a great glimpse into who she is…..beyond the music. And like you said…annointed. Loved the message.

I still like to think that I'm going to sing like her in my next life. 😉

-Lindsey

Mela Kamin October 22, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Wow – that was awesome. I do love Christy's music and her gentleness of spirit. I really enjoyed the different take she had on Psalm 37 – what a wonderful perspective she shared. Also, inviting the glorious into the mundane is something I so long for – I will be intentional about doing that today. Many blessings!