Would You Buy This Doll?

by jessicaturner on August 21, 2009

As most of you know, I am an advocate for breastfeeding. I also think it is normal that a little girl would pretend to breastfeed her dolls and I imagine that if I have a daughter someday, she will likely do just that.

However, when I saw an article about the Babe Gloton, I was a little shocked. I guess I think the flower nipple bra that the toy comes with goes a little too far… Watch this minute video to see what I mean.

I always thought dolls that peed were strange too…

What do you think? Would you buy this doll for your daughter?
________________________________________
Share/Save/Bookmark
Twitter me – I’m JessicaNTurner

Amy Honestly August 21, 2009 at 10:29 am

I had a doll when I was little called "Baby Brother Tender Love". It had an actual penis. You could feed it and it would pee as well. I was never allowed to feed it though, because my mother was afraid that the inside of the doll would stay wet and mold and such. Nonetheless, the doll was anotomically correct. A penis? Can you believe that? Yikes!

Be Blessed,

Amy Honestly

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) August 21, 2009 at 11:41 am

I nursed both my girls but the bra nursing thing for little girls is just a little weird for my taste. They can pretend to nurse their baby without that.

We have a Baby Alive doll that pees and she's enough of a hassle!

I'm all for breastfeeding but let kids be little. Who wants to worry about their baby latching on correctly at that age? Ha ha. 😉

RN and OSHP August 21, 2009 at 12:03 pm

We had an anatomically correct doll when I was a kid too. I think we bought it at a junk shop and didn't know till we got home because it wasn't in a box though. My husband and I were talking about this nursing baby doll recently. I don't really think it's all that big of a deal. I think it's natural for kids to pretend to breastfeed their dolls when they see their mom breastfeed. My daughter and even my son feed their dolls "from their belly". No one showed them how they just did it. I doubt I would buy one but I wouldn't buy the ones that pee pee either. I don't think this doll is really much different. It is the most natural thing in the world.

jenn August 21, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Hmmm, I am going to have to think about this! I have nursed (nursing now) all four of my kids. Our baby is 5 1/2 months and my girls have sat down beside me with their dolls and pretended to nurse many times. but, I have mixed feelings about this–interesting!!

Sharon August 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm

I'd much prefer buying that over all the dolls that come with what look like wardrobes a hooker would wear (have you seen some of the Barbie and Bratz stuff!?), or where the object is to spend hours plastering on makeup.

Tracy August 21, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I wouldn't buy it. I nursed both of my kids, my first for 15 mths, and my second for 2 years. But, I'd rather that they jsut "pretend". I'm not a big fan of the flower nipple, and I think that's what turns me off about this doll.

CFloyd August 21, 2009 at 12:51 pm

I was quite impressed how well the little girl did. :)

scrapcraft August 21, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Heck no, I think this is ridiculous.

Erin August 21, 2009 at 1:18 pm

i think it is the suckling that gets me. I am all for imaginary play…let the kids pretend all they want.

Stacey August 21, 2009 at 1:20 pm

That's a no. I breastfed Cristian and will for any future babies we are blessed with…but the flower bra is way over the top for me. I won't buy the trashy Brats dolls either…Sharon is right, those things are horrible!

Rebecca Louise. August 21, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I wouldn't buy this it does weird me out. x

Scrapnoodle August 21, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I don't think it is that big of a deal; it is a natural thing, as long as you teach your daughter appropriate behaviors. I guess it depends if you are the type of parent that makes up names for private parts or if you just call it by the anatomical name. I agree with Sharon, Bratz dolls etc are WAY worse:)

Lori Roberts August 21, 2009 at 2:19 pm

No I would not buy this doll! Just my 2 cents worth…little girls need to be little girls. They grow up too fast and forget how to be children. Call me old fashion and old. And a doll that wets…LOL! I had Tiny Tears and that was OVER 50 years ago!!

Jessica August 21, 2009 at 2:28 pm

I have 3 girls, and one still nurses. My 3 year old pretends with her dolls, but not my 6 year old. I think the flower nipples are inappropriate. My daughter can pretend with her shirt on, and no pretend nipples!

Jessica Turner August 21, 2009 at 2:29 pm

scrapnoodle – I have to say that I don't think that it "depends if you are the type of parent that makes up names for private parts or if you just call it by the anatomical name." We are not ones to make up names for private parts, however, I still think that a bra for a child to put on with flowers for nipples is a bit odd… talk about making things up. Just my opinion though.

Like Erin, I am ALL for imaginary play.

Loving everyone's comments – on both sides. I knew this would be a fun Friday discussion.

Angela August 21, 2009 at 2:46 pm

I think that nursing is beautiful, healthy and natural and it makes perfect sense that children want to mimic the behavior they see. So with that in mind, I have no problem with children pretending to breast fed their dolls. However as a frugal mom…I would not buy a special doll for this. Any doll would do. And I do think the flower bra is a bit…eh…hmmm…I cannot seem to find the right word. :-)

Oh, I had a Joey Stivich (sp) doll when I was little he had a penis too…

Lauren Kelly August 21, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Jessica, I don't even have a child but I'd say for my daughter it would be a bit much to have a doll like that!!!

Leonard Family August 21, 2009 at 3:00 pm

I am very open, I would have no problem with my daughter pretending to nurse her doll but this doll is a little creepy. I would not buy it for my daughter. Amy's comment about the doll who actually had a penis really freaked me out. I've NEVER heard of that doll and OMGosh it's so not allowed in this house. Kids are going to be curious in their own time, why thrust it upon them. Just my thoughts!

Jenn August 21, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Yeah, I'm a bit "wigged" out by that video.

No thanks!!!

Cheryl August 21, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I agree with Jamie about letting little kids be little. I think that the flower bra is over the top. It weirded me out. Not sure exactly why, but it did.

I also have to agree with Sharon. Barbie, Bratz, and almost every other doll all have wardrobes that make them look like trash. I have a hard time making my 9 year old understand why a bikini is not appropriate and how to dress modest when these types of dolls are shoved in her face at friends houses. It is even worse when some of her classmates dress in outfits that resemble them.

Cheryl

Kelly August 21, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Absolultely, this goes way too far! I breastfed both of our kids and our oldest did pretend to nurse her doll when baby brother came along.

Can I just saw EWWW!

Kelsey August 21, 2009 at 4:38 pm

I too feel this is a little over the top. What ever happened to just plan 'ol pretend??? Why do dolls have to talk and crawl and pee and suck? It takes so much away from kids. I rarely buy any toys that require batteries and such. Let kids play the way they are suppose to play-
WITH THEIR OWN IMAGINATION!

But I do agree with the others, this doll is way better than some of the other trashy ones out there. And promoting nursing isn't a bad idea either;) I love nursing and hope my girls will follow suit someday. But they don't need a flower-nipple-bra-thing to practice on…

Mamastiks August 21, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I saw this a few weeks ago, and, no I would definitely not buy it. I have 2 daughters – 3 1/2 and 1 1/2. My 1 1/2 still breastfeeds occasionally ("boob, PEAS! I no bite you") In any event, my 3 1/2 year old started "breastfeeding" her dolls when the baby was about 4 or 5 months old. No anatomically correct doll needed…and that doll kind of takes the cuteness out of the imitation breastfeeding.

Jenn Becker August 21, 2009 at 4:52 pm

This is disturbing. NO WAY would I buy this doll. I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate, but why force it with a little girl when she can pretend all on her own? Plus, that bra/nipple thing is just weird.

Brittany August 21, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Um. That would be a NO! Breastfeeding is wonderful, but the flower bra thing and suckling noises are erm, weird. Let kids be kids. They can pretend without that doll.

Anonymous August 21, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Nope! I agree that the "bra" is a bit much!

Nurse Bee

Just Jiff August 21, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I don't mean to sound prudish or closed-minded, but I think this doll is going too far. I think nursing is a beautiful thing and women shouldn't have to hide in public. I do not think a doll should be made for this purpose. If a little girl wants to pretend to breastfeed her babydoll, fine. I don't mind. But seriously? Are they going to make dolls that make out with each other next? Sheesh. Let kids be kids.

Meli August 21, 2009 at 7:07 pm

I think I agree with most of the posts when I say that I would not buy this doll for my daughter, and that the flower-nipple thing is really bizarre. I guess it's good that it doesn't look like REAL nipples (Meet the Parents style, but I'm still not a fan. The suckling sound was more a problem for me than the flower bra, though. I agree that children should just pretend with their regular dolls like I did when I was little :)

Oh, and as for the comments about Bratz dolls, I REALLY think those things should be banned. Who on Earth thought it was a good idea to make dolls that look like that?!

snapshots August 21, 2009 at 7:49 pm

It's not the breastfeeding or the pretending that is the problem. It's the bra. Little girls will have plenty of years to wear bras and they don't need to start with a bra that has a flower nipple. YIKES!

Lanne August 21, 2009 at 8:10 pm

No I wouldn't buy this doll. Pretending is perfectly acceptable! However I also don't buy many toys that don't require pretend/imaginative play. I don't by things that have sound effects, one way to use them, battery operated etc. Bratz dolls and other items that are oversexualised. I have a son and don't buy him anything that has guns, violent themes (eg. anything fighting related).. Anything with camo print (be it clothes toys etc). I could be wrong. I might be making a big mistake. But as a parent and qualified educator I am making a decision based on knowledge, research and experience. As parents we make choices about what we buy, allow and encourage. It doesn't sound like this toy is being well received in general. I wonder what their market research said?

"Intentionally Katie" August 21, 2009 at 8:28 pm

This is my first time to your blog and (even though I'm 7 months pregnant with my third) this doll and it's accessories disturbed me. My 3 year old sticks anything and everything under her shirt to look pregnant like me and I'm 100% sure she'll "nurse" her baby dolls. But the flower nipple bra and the sucking sounds freaked me out.

The things they come up with these days…

Kelley August 21, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I find the video weird. I would not buy this doll.

Brooke August 21, 2009 at 10:26 pm

I wouldn't buy the doll, it's the bra part that weirds me out too. Pretend play seems to exist less and less these days. Makes me wonder what's it's doing to kids imaginations. We have a craft room rule, no store bought toys allowed. My son plays with an old milo tin (with the lid on) and a spoon, the door, and anything else in there he can get his hands on.

I had a Baby Alive doll when I was younger and all I remember is that it spent most of it's life in the laundry on top of the washing machine drying out from all the peeing it did!

Andrea August 21, 2009 at 10:58 pm

All of Cecilia's dolls are breastfeeding dolls. I throw away the bottles that come with them. With that said, I would NOT buy this doll because other than the fact that it cries and makes noise (like anyone needs more of that in their home), the bra thing is just weird. Cecilia only breastfeeds her dolls because that's all she's ever known or seen, but spending the extra $ on that is just weird.

Lauresa August 21, 2009 at 11:40 pm

Ummm, Negative Ghost Rider…. Scarey is the only word that comes to mind….. :-)
Reese

Janelle August 22, 2009 at 1:13 am

Is the flower there because it activates the suckling on the doll? If so…they could have done that more discretely. Idk either…I am mixed. I know that I wouldn't want my daughter (if I had one that is…) pulling that doll out to play with when company was over. Might be an ackward moment.

Rebecca (Sam's wife) August 22, 2009 at 1:51 am

i think they can pretend play without an actual doll with a bra…weirded out. i am all for nursing..stil nurse at night and in morning…and my daughter will be a year on monday…she likes it too much. :)

Bonky's Mom August 22, 2009 at 2:25 am

Uh, I'm rather creeped out now. : )

That would be a no.

Jennifer August 22, 2009 at 2:44 am

I am very pro breastfeeding also and currently nursing my little one. But… I don't know how I feel about this. My daughter pretends to nurse her "babies" also, and does a fine job without the flower bra top – which is just plain, well to put it nicely, inappropriate.

Erin @ Closing Time August 22, 2009 at 3:09 am

I agree with virtually every comment here. I breastfed both of my babies, and they have at times pretended to nurse their baby dolls. But this weirds me out!

Samantha @ Mama Notes August 22, 2009 at 4:27 am

No, I wouldn't

Mandy and Jack August 22, 2009 at 5:32 am

Um, aside from the fact that the doll's noises are freaking annoying, unless it's specifically requested, I don't think it's necessary to get for a little girl. First of all, why not just let kids do it on their own with their regular dolls, if they feel so inclined? Second of all, why would I feel the need to force breastfeeding on my kid? I don't feel the need to force breastfeeding on other moms, and I sure hope people don't try to force breastfeeding or not breastfeeding on me when I have a baby. Why force it on your daughter before she even has a kid?

Also, on behalf of all your RSS readers, thank you for giving us the full feed back!! :)

Gail August 22, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Would I buy that doll? No way. It is ridiculous!!!!

Miss X August 22, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Yes, this is kind of disturbing, but keep in mind this doll isn't currently sold in the US. It's from Spain where this is culturally acceptable.

I first heard about this via another blogger…

(Jess I hope you don't mind me posting this link here. I'm not in any way associated with this site.)

Katie August 23, 2009 at 1:37 am

Oh my! I am at a loss for words on that one! I am all for explaining how Mommies feed their babies, and for little girls to think this is natural and healthy…but really? The flower nipple goes a little too far for me. Too weird! (And can't you see the little brothers getting ahold of this?? And the dads freaking out at their sons wearing flower nipple bras?? HA!)

tracy August 23, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I grew up in sort of a closed household, if you know what I mean; didn't get the "what's happening to your body" or the birds & the bees talk, so it never occurred to me pretend breast feeding my baby dolls. That being said, I plan on being much more open & available to my daughter, but I think the doll goes a bit too far. Is it weird that I think pretending to breastfeed as a young girl is strange??

tracy August 23, 2009 at 6:44 pm

PS, I am very much pro-breastfeeding; my daughter is nearly 16 months old & is still nursing twice a day. Also, my daughter feeds her babies with a play-bottle, rocks them, and covers them with blankies, but has never once tried to nurse them.