Road Trip Recap

by jessicaturner on August 3, 2009

My road trip to Atlanta with Elias went really well. He slept a lot, which made it easier. We had to stop twice each way (it is a 4 hour trip).

I did Barby’s suggestion and had a bunch of toys on the front seat so I could periodically pass Elias something new. This was particularly helpful since he liked to toss the toys into the crevice between his car seat and the car door. The best toy I brought with was his cat in the hat stuffed animal. He sleeps with it every night and it seemed to bring him a lot of comfort in the car. I meant to bring along some kids CDs, but I forgot them. Thankfully, Elias likes Christy Nockles almost as much as I do. (At one point I swear he was singing Hosannnnnnnaaaa.)

Regarding the whole head falling forward issue… I bought him these Kiddopotamus Head Support Cradlers which velcro to the seat straps, but they did NOT work. His head fell forward a lot more when they were attached. He actually slept a lot better without them. $10 down the drain…

Here’s a picture of him sleeping when we got home yesterday afternoon.

(and yes, I noticed that his strap seemed to be falling a bit… he was moving a lot and I think made it a bit looser than when I strapped him in. Silly boy.)

Thanks for all the tips! It made the trip feel a lot less overwhelming. Also thanks to Jennifer who took care of Elias while I attended all my festivities.
________________________________________
Share/Save/Bookmark
Twitter me – I’m JessicaNTurner

Rebecca Louise. August 3, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Glad you had a good trip =)

Barby August 3, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Glad it worked out! Let's hope this works for me once again when we head back to Oshkosh from Myrtle Beach.

Anonymous August 3, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Jessica….Ok get rid of that shirt he looks like hes about 6 in it…not my little 1 yr old grandson :) xoxoxo Mom

Amanda August 4, 2009 at 4:35 am

Glad you had a fun and safe trip! I love pictures of sleeping babies!

Also, I featured The Mom Creative on my blog, Beautiful Blog Designs. Take a look when you have a chance. :-)

Samantha @ Mama Notes August 4, 2009 at 6:03 am

What car seat did you end up getting? I'm in the process of finding a new car seat for Lucas and I was reading back on your old post where everyone was giving you suggestions between the britax and true fit (that's what I'm debating between too!) but I couldn't find the follow up post that said which one you choosed! :)

that doesn't look like a britax to me so I'm guessing the other one?

Jessica Turner August 4, 2009 at 11:29 am

Hey Samantha – here's the link to the car seat we picked. I definitely think it was the best decision. We are so happy with it.