I’ve Been Bit by Another Vampire Series

by jessicaturner on August 16, 2009

First it was the Twilight series…. now Matthew and I have been “bitten” by the True Blood phenomenon- HBO’s hit series about Sookie Stackhouse (played by Anna Paquin), a waitress in small town Louisiana who is dating a vampire named Bill. Yes, it can be a little racy, but we love the characterization, campy feel and storyline.

Sara graciously sent me her Sookie Stackhouse series to borrow since she hasn’t been feeling up to reading. (Please say a prayer for her). I devoured book one in two days and am now starting book two. There are a lot of similarities to the show, but a few significant differences, so I am interested in seeing how book two unfolds. It is nice to get a little lost in an easy fiction book, which is something I haven’t done in a while. Matthew says I am happier when I am reading, so he is happy too. :)

What are you reading these days?
________________________________________
Share/Save/Bookmark
Twitter me – I’m JessicaNTurner

Jenn August 16, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Jessica, I too have been bitten by that tv show!!! Not being a subscriber to HBO, I downloaded them to my iTouch from iTunes and was at first quite shocked by the "racy" scenes. However, after the first few episodes, I found myself on the edge of my seat wanting to follow Sookie to see what happens next!

On the book side, you should try the Vampire Academy books…they're GREAT!!!!

Emily August 16, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I'd been considering these books/shows since I loved Twilight, but I wasn't sure… I'll be adding them to my netflix queue!

I have a 9 month old son so I've been starting and then finishing a lot of books lately! 😉 I LOVE to read, though,so that makes me sad.

BrynnMarie82 August 16, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Love the show and the books are better…but that is pretty much the norm I think :)

Cassie August 16, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I love those books & the show! I wouldn't dare spoil anything for you but I will tell you not to worry about reading the books as far as the show is concerned…for the most part, starting with season 2, the show deviates wildly from the books. They're both still good but I'm starting to think of them separately now.

Yvonne and Eric August 16, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Thanks for the book(and TV show) recommendation! I'll have to try those out at some point. Right now I'm reading the Time Traveller's Wife and also "how to talk so kids will isten and listen so kids will talk" by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish

Cindi August 16, 2009 at 5:09 pm

I have read all 8 and anxiously await her new book which will be out next Spring. I LOVE the show and adored the books as well. It is racy, but it hooks you pretty quickly! I usually can't wait for Sunday nights and have both seasons DVR'd….there are weekends I just watch the whole thing over, lol..Gee..you think I need a life? :O)

Jennifer August 16, 2009 at 5:57 pm

I was also bitten by that show! I watched season one (over and over and over again…), and then had to give up hbo just as season two started. I got hooked shortly after I read the Twilight series!

Right now, I'm reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan and I think I'm going to tackle Reedeming Love. I do need to have a little quick and easy fiction to breeze through now that the school year is about to start. I too am happier when I'm reading.

Rachel C. August 16, 2009 at 6:21 pm

I have been wanting to read this series after hearing so much about it! I didn't purchase it yet though and I'm hoping to maybe borrow the first one to see if I like it. I am finishing up "Julie and Julia" and I'm going to read Pat Conroy's new book next.

Megan @ Hold it Up to the Light August 16, 2009 at 6:39 pm

So funny that you posted about this today….I just watched the first episode of Season 1 yesterday and I am hooked! Just finished New Moon last month and about to start Eclipse. I'm in Vamp land, too, it seems. Guess we've all been biten!

pete wilson August 16, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Not another! :)

Sandra August 16, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I'm in the middle of book 6 of this series. LOVE IT! A little tip, there is a short story in a compilation called "Bite" that is a Sookie short-story that you need to read between book 5 and 6. It's about 20 pages, but it will make book 6 make much more sense! You also might read the Lily Bard series also by Charlaine Harris as the two main characters in that series show up in the True Blood series. Enjoy!

lisawitt August 17, 2009 at 2:19 am

I just finished Firefly Lane…great chick lit if you about best friends, very good! And am now reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society! Also very good so far if you need a break from the vampires! 😉

Samantha @ Mama Notes August 17, 2009 at 4:48 am

You like that show too huh? We watched the first season. i like it -but it's a little to racy/weird for me.. but I keep watching it, ha! I didn't even realize there were books- I'll have to check those out!