Full of Hope

by jessicaturner on February 2, 2009

Matthew was baptized today. It was beautiful for so many reasons. Pete said “It is rare that I get to baptize a friend as close as you.” That brought tears to my eyes. He then spoke some encouraging words to Matthew before lowering him into the water.
Matthew had been baptized multiple times in his childhood, but each time it was because of fear. Today was about hope and love.
It was incredibly special.
I bet you can guess what my 365 picture is going to be. I am going to have Matthew write the journaling for today.
Have you been baptized? What was your experience like?

________________________________________
Twitter me – I’m JessicaNTurner

Angela W February 2, 2009 at 3:05 am

That is so awesome!

Lauren Kelly February 2, 2009 at 3:54 am

That is so beautiful and awesome Jessica! Thanks for sharing!

gitz February 2, 2009 at 4:41 am

You know, to Matthew’s credit, I wouldn’t have begun to understand the significance of this if I hadn’t read his book. I’m so grateful he is in the place he is in… and that hope is so large in his vocabulary.

Rebecca Louise. February 2, 2009 at 9:53 am

Hope and Love – what beautiful words and meanings to be baptized and cleansed to.

I have never been baptized, I was dedicated when I was about Elias’s age but have chosen that I do not want to follow a religion or spirituality of some kind. That does not mean to say that baptizing is not amazing, because it really is :)

mamma2 February 2, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I was baptized when I was 7 years old. However, my husband had never been baptized. So, after we were married we started talking about him getting baptized. We actually ended up getting baptized together to show our unity in Christ.

Sandra February 2, 2009 at 8:53 pm

I read Matthews book “churched” and participated in the blog tour, so I was very touched by this photo. I’m glad it has finally come full circle for him!

Sandra

Kristin February 2, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Jessica
My husband and I were both baptized on Nov 2, 2003! Our youngest son Gabriel at the time was just 2 weeks old! Now he is 5 and loves me to tell him the story about how he was a tiny baby when mom was baptized! We are pg with our 3rd son and I think Gabriel thinks I might have to do it again when the new one comes! :)
Congratulations to Matthew’s public commitment of faith!
Kristin

Linny Best February 2, 2009 at 10:59 pm

That’s awesome! I was dunked when I was 12 by my Daddy. I remember making the decision at church camp and talking to my youth minister and parents about it for weeks afterwards. I think that I was well prepared when it finally happened, but I don’t remember that feeling and the thoughts I had at the time. I feel like every time I take communion, however often it is, I am reminded of the decision I made and the daily decision I make to follow through with that decision or not.

Rachel Boldman February 3, 2009 at 2:08 am

I was baptized when I was about 6 years old by my father, and then again a few years ago by my future husband, when we were engaged. I can’t wait to tell Zeke about it someday. We have it on video, thank goodness! What a beautiful story Matthew can someday tell Elias!

Anonymous February 3, 2009 at 3:40 am

Wow! That is wonderful!! What an amazing testimony he must have! :) -Kristi in IA

Mar February 3, 2009 at 12:35 pm

I was baptized with my husband as an adult, although I had been previously baptized by my parents… our children were baptized by my husband in a lake, very special. It has recently taken on additional meaning to me as I watched a news account of a former Hamas leader being baptized in the Pacific Ocean, and as missionary friends of ours baptized new brothers and sisters in Christ knowing they would face intense persecution afterward. We don’t experience much persecution here, but baptism now means more to me because of them … I am identifying myself as one with Christ and one with other believers around the world who are experiencing the loss of all things for Him.

Dawn February 3, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Wow. That’s really cool. I was baptized at the age of 8 by my daddy. And my husband was baptized as an adult just four years ago. It was incredibly special!

Jenni February 3, 2009 at 10:25 pm

What a beautiful story! I was baptized when I was nineteen (I’m 34 now). I also wanted it to be done the old fashioned way which was to have it done in a nearby creek. It was the 2nd most wonderful thing to happen to me (getting saved was the first!). After all was said and done, some of the people there told me later that a small group of baby snakes had to be shooed away before I could get in! Yikes! It was truly an amazing experience!