International Baby Wearing Week

by jessicaturner on November 13, 2008

This week is international baby wearing week. I always thought I would wear Elias more than I do. I think I don’t because after about 6 weeks he decided he didn’t really like the sling I had. But, when he was tiny, I did use the sling occasionally when I went out, as well as in the house, and he was so cute in it! Check us out at the mall when he was about three weeks.

About a month ago, my friend and colleague Rosemary, gave us her Baby Bjorn to try out. Well, Elias did okay in it, but not for very long. However, I put him in it again last weekend when I needed to get some things done around the house, and he loved it. We have big mirrors in our living room and every time I would go by them, he would smile at his reflection. It was hilarious. So I think I am going to be wearing him more.

Do/did you wear your baby much? What worked for you? You can check out pics of other moms wearing their babies here and submit a photo of yourself wearing your baby to win a sling from Nonny and Boo.

Update: I just stumbled on another chance to win a sling on Tip Junkie!

Southern Gal November 13, 2008 at 1:34 pm

You’ve got to check out tweetiepiebaby.com for their line of baby carriers. They are beautiful and so unique. I wish I’d known about them with my babies. Her blog is good, too. tweetiepiebaby.blogspot.com.

I had to wear my middle son because he was SO MUCH a MAMA’S BOY that no one else could hold him…not even my mom which is very unusual. He loved it, but 17 years ago, carriers weren’t what they are today and I think I permanently damaged my back with that chunky boy (20 lbs at 3 months, but he’s 6’4″ now and 165 lbs!!) I mainly carried the oldest and youngest. They would let others hold them!

Renee

The Thai Family November 13, 2008 at 1:34 pm

I used a sling in the first few weeks of life with our second one but after that she didn’t like it… too squished. We did use our snugli carrier for a really long time. It was so much easier running errands with her in it and a toddler in tow to boot! I plan to wear the next one as much as I can since I have two under the age of 4 when the third is due!

Southern Gal November 13, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Confusing. I mainly carried IN MY ARMS the youngest and oldest. Not in a carrier. OK. I feel better now.

Christi November 13, 2008 at 2:02 pm

I had both a sling and a Baby Bjorn and didn’t use either too often. The sling was hard to get on and seemed to squish my baby boy and be a bit uncomfortable for me. The Baby Bjorn I used a bit but my baby was a big boy so I prefered just keeping him in his carrier that went into the stroller. Then I didn’t have to disturb him if he was sleeping. I also just found that as he got older using my arms and holding him on my hip was the easiest and most comfortable for me. Isn’t that what our hips are for? :)

Dani November 13, 2008 at 2:08 pm

aww…He was sooo tiny! :) It feels so weird that so much time seems to have past. Even though I don’t know you personally I feel as though I do. Like you were a long lost sister and we got reconnected. Weird I know. :) I just wanted to let you know that I feel very blessed to have been brought to your blog. You and Angie mean a lot to me and I pray that I am like ya’ll when I am your age! Not that you are much older then me. :)

Love you,
Dani

Stacy November 13, 2008 at 3:05 pm

We used the NoJo Baby Sling that was designed by Dr. Sears. My husband wore our first child more than I did, but I used it ALL of the time when my daughter came along. It freed up my hands so I had one to hold onto Gage’s hand and the other to carry whatever else I was carrying at the time. I think it’s what they get used to. If you don’t use the sling/carrier much, they aren’t going to like it, but if you faithfully keep trying it and use it frequently, they will get used to it and it will be a way of life. There are many different ways you can carry them with the NoJo babysling, and one of them is on your hip, like you would normally do, but it just give you that extra support. If you can keep them positioned where they can see what’s happening, that’s where they are the happiest.

Adventures In Babywearing November 13, 2008 at 4:06 pm

How fun- I’d probably end up in front of the mirror all day then and laughing away. Love that!

Steph

Lauren November 13, 2008 at 6:19 pm

I use the Moby wrap with my son. He still loves it. I put him in it 3-5 days a week. I love using it shopping. My 3 year old in the cart, and my baby sleeps the whole time undisturbed. The moby wrap was a little complicated to figure out, but with practice it’s a breeze. People always look at my strangely when I am putting it on.

gitz November 13, 2008 at 7:05 pm

I have no input since I don’t have a baby and I don’t think my dog would appreciate a sling :) But I had to say that you looked GREAT only three weeks after having him! I’m always amazed by new moms that don’t look tired! :)

Mom2three November 13, 2008 at 10:16 pm

I used a sling that I made all the time with my last one. It was a simple and I was able to pick out the material that I wanted. I could nurse discretely, do housework, get out and about with no problem. Because he had issues with muscle control, this was perfect for us!

Kelli November 14, 2008 at 2:48 am

Munchkin was worn alllllllll the time, in a sling. He would cry for so long I couldn’t get things done, but if I held him he did great. My dd on the other wanted nothing to do with co-dependency….:( this made me sad and still makes me sad…

Jill November 14, 2008 at 3:06 am

Hi Jessica,

It was fun catching up with you and Elias tonight.

Happy 4 month bday big boy! Oh he is so cute!

We LOVE our http://www.babyhawk.com carriers! I have used them with all of our babies from Guatemala. I use them with our toddlers too. They all love being up so close to Mommy. Sometimes they ask me to go in it. It is the ONLY carrier that does not hurt my back, ribs or shoulders. Not to mention they are TOTALLY cute!!!!!

Check them out!

Blessings and love,
Jill

Jennifer November 20, 2008 at 4:04 am

BOTH of my boys, LOVED the Baby Bjorn! I especially liked it around this time of the year(germs…..