Our Little Pumpkin

by jessicaturner on October 14, 2008

Okay, so I have always loved Anne Geddes pictures. Matthew thinks they are creepy. So when I get plans of Anne Geddes-esque pictures, Matthew usually puts his foot down. WELL, I have wanted to put my baby in or on a pumpkin since I saw this picture when I was in middle school. I couldn’t find a big pumpkin to do that shot, but I must say, I think our take is WAAAYYY cuter! Oh my goodness. I couldn’t pick one, or even just five favorites… So, if I may bore you…

**Update: a couple clarifications on this. We completely carved out this pumpkin Sunday night. Shaved it good on the inside and rid it of all goo. Then we let it dry almost 24 hours, so it was not disgusting at all on the inside. We cut open the top and cut open the entire back of the pumpkin as well, so we easily were able to put Elias in the top and then Matthew held him (like a little seat) from the back, so with the exception of his toes, he wasn’t really touching the pumpkin at all on the inside.

lots_of_love_four_kids October 14, 2008 at 12:24 am

OH MY GOODNESS! How sweet are those!?! No wonder you were have trouble choosing!
I SO want to do that now.
I might just copy you (and Anne Geddes) :) thank you for sharing those pictures! They are adorable!
-Jenni

Tightening the Corset Again October 14, 2008 at 12:32 am

He didn’t protest? It had to be gooey! But those are incredibly adorable!

Katherine Page October 14, 2008 at 12:35 am

aww how cute. I am laughing. The picture with the top on his head is priceless. That looks like so much fun. I don’t have a kid but maybe I can borrow one. haha

Kaitlin October 14, 2008 at 12:42 am

The things parents do to their children for cute pictures. I’m obsessed with Anne Geddes too. I’ll probably do the same when I have children.

Katie October 14, 2008 at 12:42 am

Okay, LAUGHING OUT LOUD at this post!!!! I can honestly say this is the first baby I have ever seen WEARING A PUMPKIN!!!! Too cute! And hilarious! My favorite is the one of just you and him. You have to share….was he a total mess afterwards? I may just have to try this next time around…I know my 18 month old would not fit, and would definately not be happy! =o)

Sara October 14, 2008 at 12:47 am

That is seriously the best thing I’ve ever seen… number 3 needs to be sent out as a Halloween photo card just to prepare people for the cuteness that will inevitably come in their Christmas card.

I say put him in all the fruit and vegetables you want now, because in a few years you’re not going to get him to sit still long enough to snap a regular photo! :)

(you could take that pumpkin photo and him in the sweet pea costume and a few other vegetables and then photoshop them all into a garden setting. Either that would be a hilariously cute scrapbook page or I’ve officially lost my mind… jury’s still out on that one.)

MandieGirl October 14, 2008 at 1:00 am

Too stinkin’ cute!!! :)

Kelli October 14, 2008 at 1:06 am

That is so cute!! I can’t wait to try it!!

Iris October 14, 2008 at 1:13 am

how adorable precious cute sweet etc! The first one was my absolute favorite!!

Nicole October 14, 2008 at 2:18 am

Those are precious!!!
Ok, my vote is the 3rd one of Elias. Then the 2nd family picture is adorable! Ok, can I say too that you and your sister and even her hubby & yours look so much ALIKE!!!!!!! When I first came on the pic of your sister I thought, did she change clothes (thinking it was you!) Thanks for sharing!

rebecca October 14, 2008 at 2:22 am

How cute!!! You are so creative! :)
I liked #4 the best. Elias is such a beautiful blessing. :)

Stacy October 14, 2008 at 2:37 am

Those pictures are adorable! I wish I would have thought to do that! I don’t think I could find a pumpkin big enough for my kids now, and since they are 8 and 5 years old, I’m sure they would think I was insane if I tried to get them inside a pumpkin!

Kyra October 14, 2008 at 3:06 am

LOVE the pictures! The first made me laugh because he seems to making an eww face. Then he seems to enjoy the whole thing.

amy October 14, 2008 at 3:10 am

these are too stinkin cute..

Karen October 14, 2008 at 4:35 am

so cute. i can’t believe he just stayed in there with no fussing….amazing!

christi28 October 14, 2008 at 4:44 am

ok, that is about the cutiest thing i have ever seen! the first picture is my favorite but i can see how hard it was for you to choose! what a blessing you have!

blessings ~

vaneblu October 14, 2008 at 4:55 am

OMG those are so cute!!!!

Yvonne&Eric October 14, 2008 at 5:48 am

The things we do to our kids . . .:D Love the pictures – they’re absolutely adorable!

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 6:50 am

Cute….but the expressions on the baby’s face makes me wonder “what’ he might have been thinking!!!! Put some ideas out there——

the first one: eauuuhh Mooooommm!!

Jocelyn October 14, 2008 at 11:44 am

Well I must say, these are the most perfect pics I have seen in quite a while! I got such joy seeing them and you did a wonderful job. What a cute! Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Carrie October 14, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Oh my gosh, so cute!

ckmom78 October 14, 2008 at 1:34 pm

too cute!!

Mario and Debra October 14, 2008 at 1:52 pm

How Sweet! Those are so adorable! He is getting so big! My favorite is the very first one.

Walking by Faith October 14, 2008 at 2:24 pm

It doesn’t get any cuter than that!!! Great pictures!!

Dani October 14, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Awesome idea!! You did a great job with these. I can’t wait to do things like this when I have a baby! :) You are so creative. I do photography as a hobby/future career and this is a great idea…hope you don’t mind if I “steal” it. :) I would love to take pics of that precious boy. To bad I live to far away. Oh well. I guess I will talk to ya later!
~Dani

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Am I the only one who is totally grossed out at this!!!!
I too have a baby but would NEVER put her in a ooey gooey pumpkin.
YUCK!! I know we are supposed to encourage eachother….but I think some day looking back you will say to yourself….what was I thinking. No offense, but I want to encourage you INSIDE the pumpkin is ewwww gross!!
NEXT to the pumpkin, so much cuter!
Or have you seen the millions of cute pumpkin costumes.
IN the pumpkin….not so cute.
He looks trapped in goo!!

Jessica Turner October 14, 2008 at 4:26 pm

anonymous – please see my update to this post. He was far from trapped in goo.

Open your Eyes... October 14, 2008 at 4:47 pm

AWW!!! That is all I can say! X.

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 6:50 pm

Erm… you put your kid in a pumpkin…

Jackie October 14, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Jessica,

These are all so adorable !
You are so creative.

I am with you…too hard to decide which one would be the favorite.
He is such a "doll baby".

It's so enjoyable to see how much fun you & Matthew are having w/ Elias.

Have a good day. :-)

Missy October 14, 2008 at 8:37 pm

ha! that is a great shot with the “lid” on his head.
just wait till he’s old enough to say “yah, mom, remember when you stuck me in the pumpkin!?!” ha! happy fall!

Amelia Elaine October 14, 2008 at 8:44 pm

Oh my word! Those are the sweetest pics ever…if only amelia could still fit in a pumpkin :)
audra

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I love, love, love these pictures. I also love to take photos of my kids. Never did I try this and now they are too big (17, 10 and 5). I would do this in a heartbeat. Keepers for life! Fun! Thanks for sharing! Jen from Cali

Anonymous October 14, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Your baby boy is breathtakingly adorable all by himself, but him inside a pumpkin? Absolutely too cute for words! Thanks for sharing!
Sarah

Lissette October 14, 2008 at 10:38 pm

so adorable!

Jan October 14, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Oh…I think I am dying!!! I love the pictures, what a fantastic idea!

Erin October 14, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Oh this is SO cuuuuuute!! Love it. Anonymous, come on… he is not going to get horribly sick from pumpkin goo and he looks far from unhappy. Gosh some people and their insanely protective ways with their kids. Have some fun with your babies (while you can!), you know they are going to laugh when they turn 18…..

Lindsley Rogers October 15, 2008 at 12:09 am

How cute…I was just wondering if I could get my almost 9 month old to do that in a pumpkin…doubt it, but it’s worth a shot! I’ll do just about anything for a cute picture!

stacyj October 15, 2008 at 12:51 am

Oh my cute little pumpkin! I don’t see any Target socks, but I’m so going to do this with Addie now — thanks for the idea!

kas October 15, 2008 at 1:23 am

He is so adorable.
Karen

CIRCLE OF LIFE October 15, 2008 at 1:53 am

SO AWESOME AND JUST LIKE GEDDEYS, I LOVED IT , SO LOVE THESE LITTLE MOMENTS , TOO CUTE, ITS A ONCE IN A LIFETIME SHOT I THINK YOU DID GREAT , NEED TO PRINT ALL OD THEN AND COMBINED EACH ON A COLLAGE AND MAIL THAT AS YOUR HALLOWEEN GRETTINGS THAT WOULD BE SO CUTE. WELL IT WAS A PLEASURE LOOKING AT YOUR BLOG. ILL BE BACK IF THAT IS OK, AND PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHECK MO=INE OUT AS WELL TAKE CARE AND HAPPY HALLOWEEN

Jennifer October 15, 2008 at 2:48 am

That was so precious! An adorable idea, and he looks so happy :)

Julie October 15, 2008 at 2:51 am

These are great! I have been telling my husband we are doing this with our baby but he kept saying no. Then he saw your pictures and said we’re getting our pumpkin tomorrow! I am so excited!! Thank you for sharing.

(I discovered your blog thru Angie’s).

Julie

Jennifer October 15, 2008 at 3:25 am

Too cute—and who cares if he were to get pumpkin goo on himself. It would be worth it for these great shots!

Ashley October 15, 2008 at 4:39 am

i LOVE these pictures!! i can’t wait to have a little one so i can copy your idea!!! even if he WAS in a gooey pumpkin…i don’t know a little boy that doesn’t like to get messy!

Carrie October 15, 2008 at 5:59 am

Oh my goodness….that is one cute kid!

Elizabeth Bailey October 15, 2008 at 3:35 pm

THose are the cutest pumpkin pictures!

Anonymous October 16, 2008 at 1:29 am

There does seem to be a few anonymous people out here that think this isn’t cute.
I agree with the other anonymous comments. Someone referred to being overprotective…that doesn’t have anything to do with it. I just think you were trying to be cute and it missed the point. If I were your friend, I would just tell you the photos aren’t that cute, mostly because of the way he looks stuck in the pumpkin. You need certain camera equipment to be Anne Geddes cute.
BUT I will say your baby is darling and I wish you all good things.

Sara October 16, 2008 at 8:09 am

I LOVE that you had to put an update about the state of the pumpkin!

I know you’re first time parents and everything, but I felt pretty sure you all would make the pumpkin in the best interest of your child. But I am relieve you clarified nonetheless!!!

Hope you’re having a great week…

Ronda White October 16, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Oh my word those are the cutest photos I have ever seen. How adorable!!

Rebekah Walker October 16, 2008 at 5:35 pm

You do not know me (found you from Angie) and I just HAD to comment on this!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOO CUTE. Such a neat idea. I wish my three year old would fit in a pumpkin so I could do this! LOL

Lindsay October 16, 2008 at 9:09 pm

That 3rd one down is just too adorable for words! LOL – and he didn’t even cry – wow!!

Candice October 16, 2008 at 9:19 pm

What adorable photos! Now I feel like a slack mom because I haven’t taken a cute pumpkin photo. Maybe there’s time. I bet I could find one big enough for my two-year-old! 😉

Tasha October 17, 2008 at 2:44 am

Oh my goodness!those pictures are soooooo sweet.I think I will have to put my little 4 month old Avery in a pumpkin this weekend.I love the first one.It’s like he’s thinking Oh Mama No!So cute.He is like Mr.Personality!I can not tell you how excited I am.I get to meet your BFF Angie tommorrow night at the Selah concert.I just can’t wait to hug her.She is probably going to think I’m nuts!You have such a beautiful little family!

Courtney October 17, 2008 at 3:43 am

Oh my word, those are precious!! I am mentally filing away this idea for when we have our little ones.

I absolutely love the ones with the pumpkin “top” on his head!

Rebecca October 17, 2008 at 10:46 pm

He’s not even crying! when we did that with my daughter 7 years ago, she bawled the whole time! precious! great job Mommy!

Kim October 17, 2008 at 11:20 pm

too funny-my dh and I are the same way, I find them cute, he finds them creepy lol

these are way too sweet!

Nicole M Wood October 20, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Oh my gosh these are soo cute. You look GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I will have to copy this idea once we have a little one.

Stephanie October 22, 2008 at 12:12 pm

oh my I’m so glad you couldn’t choose any one picture. He is just so stinkin’ adorable! (He’s going to kill you one day if you keep showing these pictures! lol)