More From Our First Week

by jessicaturner on July 16, 2008

I planned to blog last night after Elias went to sleep for the evening, but ended up catching up on some email and then going to bed. He is such a good sleeper. We have to wake him for most of his feedings. Here he is an hour or so before bed, wide-awake.

Below are a few pics we took yesterday morning, before Mom and Melissa drove back to Wisconsin. Elias is a little jaundice, so we have been spending some time in the sun to help eliminate it, per our pediatrician’s instructions. He looks red in the pics, but I think he was just warm, though we hadn’t been out there very long. We saw the pediatrician yesterday and his bilirubin number had gone down and we don’t have to do the bili lights – yea!

Matthew
is so cute with Elias. Today he got to feed him for the first time, as my milk came in and I pumped a bottle. How cute are they?

We have been adjusting quite well. Yes, I have been trying to sleep when he sleeps. Today, I successfully did this two times and feel kind of rested, which is a good feeling. :) I also went out for the first time since pre-delivery today, but that is another blog post… it will be worth the wait.

I did want to get a few things done around the house today, but that didn’t happen. However, that’s okay, right? (Many of you HAVE advised that, so I am trusting you!)

I’m going to try to get dinner started while Elias naps, as it is almost time for another feeding (they sure come up fast!)

Anonymous July 16, 2008 at 10:53 pm

Jessica: Congratulations on the birth of your son. I have found your blog through Angie’s and have enjoyed it a lot. Just thought I would pass this along…I have 3 children here with me, 1 in Heaven. All my children were jaundice and finally my pediatrician decided it was from my breast milk. With mine, they all got better eventually but did have to go under the bili lights for a bit, thankfully at home. Hopefully Eli won’t need the lights but I found it interesting that such a thing can happen from breast milk. I do stress that at no point did my dr advise that I should discontinue the breast milk.

Chatty July 16, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Someone once told me (or I read it somewhere and now I can’t remember where) that all babies are (at least a little) jaundice to some degree. The sun will help, and he’ll probably work his way right through it! Both of my guys were, my sister’s guys too.

It’s funny how fast those feedings come up, isn’t it? I remember when Lady was first born I felt like we’d finish one feeding and have about 30 minutes to get anything done before the next one began 😉 (it’s an exaggeration, of course, but that’s how it felt!) I am VERY impressed that you’re going to make dinner before Elias’ next feeding, so you absolutely get a pass on whatever you wanted to get done around the house and didn’t. And the best advice you’ll get is to sleep when he sleeps until his schedule evens out.

You look fantastic, and Elias looks like such a sweet guy. Am happy to hear he’s a good sleeper- that makes a WORLD of difference!! Well done little guy!

Anonymous July 16, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Ok, I’ve never had a baby, so pardon my ignorance, but if your milk just came in today, what has he been eating for the past few days???? Formula?

alake July 17, 2008 at 12:19 am

Hey Jess! Ok now that baby Elias has come along I find myself reading your blog everyday! I have to make a stop at the Jessica blog & the Angie blog…I've become such a blog junkie! Speaking of blog junkie I even have been reading Matthew's and saw his post on that particular subject. You two are great! Hope to see you soon! :)

Bevy July 17, 2008 at 12:47 am

The first couple months it seems like you just change, feed, burp, put down and 2 hours have passed and it's time to start it all over again … where does the time go??? I really didn't remember the first 6 mos with my 2 children.
Ya – take every opportunity to rest – it'll help your milk supply & ask people to help you with meals and other things – like – go over there and clean that kitchen – it's REALLY BUGGIN' ME! :)

Amy July 17, 2008 at 1:19 am

it’s so good seeing your little miracle. he’s beautiful. i’m so glad you are getting rest when he is. everthing else can wait. it will still be there, but time with him will seem to fly.

Michelle July 17, 2008 at 2:24 am

I giggled while reading your post today, you can feel your excitement and enjoyment….ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT….

CIrons July 17, 2008 at 2:45 am

You have a beautiful family and you guys are more than precious. I look so forward to new posts and could not be happier for you…crazy because I don’t even know you! Enjoy this special time, it goes by way too fast!

Joy July 17, 2008 at 3:00 am

So glad to see an update!!! And yes, it’s okay to let your house go those first weeks. Plus you’re not supposed to lift anything over 15-20 lbs. If the mess makes you crazy, enlist the Daddy!

I felt like I was feeding babies constantly those first weeks because you count from the start of one feeding to the beginning of the next. So if baby eats slow… that next feeding comes up fast!

Joy July 17, 2008 at 3:01 am

anonymous: women will have colostrum before their milk comes in. You can google it!

Gina July 17, 2008 at 3:29 am

Hi Jessica,
I am a mom of 4. I only breastfed one of my children and he was the most jaundiced by far. My pediatrician said that was because he was dehydrated a bit ( as apparently breastfed babies are until milk comes in.) He’ll be fine now that your milk is in.
Hang in there.
It’s the most fun ever!
Don’t you love how even when you are totally exhausted in the middle of the night you still are excited to see your baby and hold him????(even if he just ate 2 hrs ago?)
Love ’em up!

Oh, and he looks like you Jessica….wow…its amazing!

Brittany July 17, 2008 at 5:09 am

Beautiful baby. Kiss his little baby feet everyday bc they grow so fast. Mine is already 5 months and it is by far the fastest five months of my life.

Love your blog and can’t wait to see more of your sweet angel. I always call babies borrowed heaven because they are not really ours but precious gifts from above :)

TNKerry July 17, 2008 at 5:33 am

Your son is adorable!!! COngratulations :)

Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for the new pics and updates…..It’s fun to come home from work at night and check for new pics for his Nana in Wisconsin. I’d rather be there kissing those soft cheeks but the pictures help a bit. :) xoxo mom

Anonymous July 17, 2008 at 12:35 pm

joy: thank you, never heard of “colostrum” — the human body does some fascinating things….

Michele July 17, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Yes that is correct- you are not to worry about not getting anything done around the house- it will and can all wait until the next day or even next week. You need to reserve your strength for all the feedings once your milk really gets flowing. The baby will sense that there is more milk production and in turn eat more- he will demand it. You will adjust and all will stabilize. Trust me. I have done this 4 times. My oldest baby goes to college next month and my youngest is only 8. Hang in there. Loved the pics- my fav is the close up of Elias laying on something and I think Matt said that was his fav.

God Bless

Michele

the parental unit July 17, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Good morning Jessica!
I’m glad that your family is settling in! Jaundice is a fairly common thing with newborns, all but one of my 5 had it too.
Don’t worry about your house at this point in time, as long as there aren’t any dust bunnies trying to take over, everything will be OK ’til later….someone sent me this poem after I had my firstborn, I thought I would pass it on to you…(sorry if it takes up a lot of room)

“Babies Don’t Keep”

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

– Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

Have a great day and give Eli a big kiss!
Lyne :)

Colleen July 17, 2008 at 3:51 pm

Your little boy is so cute. :)

Mary Lou July 17, 2008 at 5:30 pm

You all look so great!!! Congratulations : )

Kelli July 17, 2008 at 5:42 pm

what a doll Jess! And your doing a great job keepin’ up with those pictures :) too fun!

Therese July 17, 2008 at 6:28 pm

The jaundice runs in the family. My boys all had it to one degree or another. Peter was on lights. Sun is very helpful.

Sounds like you are settling in well!

Sarah July 17, 2008 at 7:44 pm

sweet jessica…i can’t believe how gorgeous elias is! looks just like you:) those eyes…he’s gonna be a little heartbreaker. i’ve been thinking a lot about you and hope you’re doing well. i was going to call, but remember how overwhelming those first couple days (weeks) are. you look so fantastic as well…you never would have thought you just had a baby a few days ago! remember to keep resting to let your body heal…you’re doing such a great job!

love, sarah

Sara July 17, 2008 at 11:28 pm

What a doll baby! I’m so glad he’s so good for you… but we all knew he’d be laid back. Look at how nonchalant he was about getting out into the world! It’s been so fun following along your journey; you have a gorgeous little family and you’re right… savoring the moments are so much more important than housework!

Blessings on your day…

sara

lize July 18, 2008 at 1:55 am

Hi Jessica, your baby Elias is beautiful! I came across you from Angie’s blog. I wanted you to know that you are so blessed and that I have a Matthew too and our last name is Elias!

Anonymous July 18, 2008 at 3:37 am

Oh, my! Elias looks exactly like you, Jessica! That first pic on the top of this entry floored me! He’s an exceptionally beautiful baby :) You must be so proud – and tired! God Bless!
-Angela from CA

Anonymous July 18, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Good Morning Sweetheart….I took my pics all over my Target store and introduced everyone to Elias. :)
I am such a proud Nana…hope you are getting as much rest as you can with eli’s needs right now. love to all mom

Aimee July 18, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Congratulations on the birth of Elias. I have been reading your blog for awhile and have never posted. Hugs and much love!

Jill July 18, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Jessica –

I agree with the other comments that all babies have some issues with jaundice. Both of my girls were – and neither needed the lights. You are fortunate that he was born in the summer and you live in a nice climate….our oldest was born in a Michigan snowstorm –so there was no going outside to get a little sun. :) Keep us posted on his status but I’m sure he will continue to improve! Enjoy him, enjoy him, enjoy him! Have a great Friday.

Anonymous July 18, 2008 at 7:29 pm

Congratulations!!! Your son looks like you Jessica! Very cute boy! You have entered a whole new phase of life and what an adventure it will be.
Keep us updated as you can

Marla Taviano July 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm

He’s awfully cute!

T-Mommy July 19, 2008 at 3:10 am

The little guy looks so huggable and you look amazing, congratulations!

Keep up the good job mommy!