A Tightly Wound Top

by jessicaturner on July 2, 2008

What a week it has been. Monday night, just as I put my head on my pillow, I suddenly felt like I couldn’t breathe, which quickly turned into nausea and then violent puking. I already had a bad headache, so this was not good (I have never puked from a migraine before.) I hadn’t had anything weird to eat, so I called the midwife on call. She had me drink some water and go to sleep, with a promise to have my midwife call in the morning. Oh, and she said, take bed rest tomorrow. So Tuesday I was on bed rest, still nursing the migraine for much of the day. Wednesday I had an appointment and the good news is that I still do not have pre-eclampsia (thank you for the prayers!). The bad news is that my blood pressure still seems to be yo-yoing on the high side. And why is that?

Well… basically I am type A to the extreme – a too tightly wound top, if you will. So, with the pending arrival of Elias, I am a bit stressed, and that has my blood pressure going up and down. What has me stressed?

• Work – finishing up projects, getting award entries completed, having things ready in case I deliver every day, etc.
  • Getting the house ready for Elias and a lot of company that is going to be coming through our door
  • Writing thank yous
  • Addressing envelopes for announcements
  • Anything else that to others seems silly and not that important, probably has me a little stressed.

So, I am my own worst enemy. And I need to take a DEEP BREATH and calm the heck down. Bed rest is supposed to help my blood pressure, and it is. However, the problem is, I lie on my couch and think about things I COULD be doing. This does NOT help. lol.

What do you do to relax and stay calm?

Oh, and in other news, I am not going to be induced – at least not yet. But, my midwife says that I will likely go early – maybe in a week and a half or two weeks. Come on Elias! I think next Thursday, when I am 38 weeks, would be a great day for a birthday. :)

Kristy July 3, 2008 at 12:54 pm

Listen to mellow music, shut off the lights, light some candles and read a book. After a little while you’ll drift right to sleep and I’m sure you’re going to want to get all you can before Elias’ arrival!

Kelli July 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm

7/10/08 sounds like a lovely day. My ds is today!!!!! And he’s 6 so that’s just craziness…

Elias will be here before you know it.

I’m not one to talk about relaxation…you know I think that’s another difference in us. My blood pressure is often so low, they are wondering if I’m alive…LOL.

And nothing really stresses me out unless it’s that time of month, HA.

But i love a good book, in a tub with bubbles, a candle, and soft music. I have started to love old movies, because they aren’t shoot ’em and kill ’em, and not terribly “real life”…they are just romantic sentiments, that leaving you saying, “Awwwwww”…so grab a nice warm bath, and settle down for some Robert Redford, or Rita Hayward.

I’ll be praying for you, and I can’t wait to “meet” Elias!

Michele July 3, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Well I have been there with my last boy. I would love to tell you more details later- I think it would take up too much room on here. :)
Basically I was told when you get a headache of a strong force when you are as pregnant as you are (and I do not mean by your size! :) :) It usually means your blood pressure is rising too high.
So when you feel that coming on- GO LAY DOWN IMMEDIATELY!!!
Hang in there.
I will continue to pray for you.
To keep busy ion bed- read- do you have a lap top?? That helps. I was in bed rest for 6 weeks with 3 kids- YIKES!!!
Love Michele Mstewart222@yahoo.com

Rebekah July 3, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Hi Jessica! I have been reading your blog for about 2 months now and I just wanted to tell you try and relax. I know it’s hard, but listen to your body. My 9 mth was really hard and I ended up taking leave from work 3 weeks before my daughter was born. Like you, I was stressed and dealing with a yo-yoing blood pressure. My due date was 1/2 and my daughter was right on time. I am praying for you! And believe me… you will be wishing you had time to relax once your beautiful baby boy is here.

Anonymous July 3, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Have a favorite movie marathon…complete with healthy snacks, a pillow, and blanket!
Liz

staceyfike July 3, 2008 at 4:03 pm

i guess valium is out of the question?
haha!

Joy July 3, 2008 at 4:49 pm

I don’t know how I missed this post but wanted to say so sorry about the migraine! I find that if I get dehydrated I get headaches.

Bevy July 3, 2008 at 4:53 pm

I feel for you – how about reading the Bible and listening to quiet Christian music while on the couch … I’m glad you don’t HAVE to have TOTAL bed rest now.

AOGF July 6, 2008 at 1:42 pm

Good Monring1 I wandered over to your site from Angies……
In the BIG picture of life on earth it won’t matter if those baby announcements are not sent out exactly at the time you want them or if the last thank you note is a month late….Give all your worries to God! Use this time to focus on HIM and get closer to Him.
I was probably a little tighter wound than you, feel free to read my story at: http://www.actsofgracefoundation.com
marlena